Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need some dvd burner advice

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-27-03, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently, my girlfriend has a Dell Dimension 4550 with a cd burner. She said that she wanted a dvd burner for her system, but I'm not sure which to get. Something around $100 to $180 would be nice. Any advice? Also, will I have to take out the cd burner when I get the dvd burner drive? Her system has an empty cd/dvd drive, but I hear somewhere that you can only have one burner. Is it true? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

here's a dvd burner for around $100.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1

you should be able to install the DVD burner in the empty bay. either way, the DVD burner has a cd burner built into it.
Old 12-27-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pioneer DVD-A05 and the Plextor 708A are the highest rated drives out there. The TDK Indi DVD seems to be very highly regarded as well. Most burners will set you back about $150-$200.
Old 12-27-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just picked up the Pioneer 106 for $118 shipped. http://store.yahoo.com/livewarehouse/pidvdvcdmudu.html

This is the newer model over the one Deftones mentioned and is just as well reviewed. (Plus, it supports both +R and -R media)
Old 12-28-03, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Chew
I just picked up the Pioneer 106 for $118 shipped. http://store.yahoo.com/livewarehouse/pidvdvcdmudu.html

This is the newer model over the one Deftones mentioned and is just as well reviewed. (Plus, it supports both +R and -R media)

This one looks great! What are the minimum system requirements for this burner?
I have a 3 year old Dell Dimension XPS (700mgz), and I'm not sure I can upgrade my PC with this burner...
Does the burner come with software?
Old 12-28-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Chew

I forgot to to add that one in.

If you can find a +/- burner, go with that over one dedicated to just +. That way you can fudge around and find what best works for the machine you will be playing it on.
Old 12-28-03, 08:47 PM

The liteon 411s or 451s is also an excellent drive for a low price. Best buy and some other brick/mortar stores have been selling these for $79 after rebate, $139 before rebate.

even for $139 its an excellent drive. I have been very pleased with mine. It does everything I could want from a dvd burner.
Old 12-28-03, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Deftones
Pioneer DVD-A05 and the Plextor 708A are the highest rated drives out there. The TDK Indi DVD seems to be very highly regarded as well. Most burners will set you back about $150-$200.
Pioneer DVD-A05 is a 4x single format DVD-R. So if your stand alone DVD player doesn't support DVD-R, you are wasting money and time. Plextor 708A is way over priced and uncall for in budget situation.

Lite-On LDW-451S is a 4x DVD+R/-R writer that goes for $121. Very reliable writer and has constant firmware updates for better media support(a lite-on trade mark). If you want something faster, the Lite-On LDW-811S is a 8x DVD+R/4x DVD-R writer that goes for $142. Both are retail drives from newegg.com
Old 12-28-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Pioneer DVD-A05 is a 4x single format DVD-R. So if your stand alone DVD player doesn't support DVD-R, you are wasting money and time. Plextor 708A is way over priced and uncall for in budget situation.

Lite-On LDW-451S is a 4x DVD+R/-R writer that goes for $121. Very reliable writer and has constant firmware updates for better media support(a lite-on trade mark). If you want something faster, the Lite-On LDW-811S is a 8x DVD+R/4x DVD-R writer that goes for $142. Both are retail drives from newegg.com
The reviews I've read of the Lite-on drives all have stated that they are consistently updating the firmware because there are tons of compatability issues with media. They have a tendency to burn far more coasters than some of the more reliable names. I disagree with Plextor being overpriced. Just like with anything else, you get what you pay for. From what I have read about Plextor drives, they consistently tested much higher than most, if not all other brands of DVD burners.

As for the DVD-R only burner, more players support that format than DVD+R right now. I only suggested it b/c you can get that for much cheaper now that the dual format burners are out. Check this site to find out if your player supports that format: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.p...Submit2=Search
Old 12-28-03, 10:09 PM

that remark regarding liteon firmware upgrading and burning coasters is ill informed at best. Liteon drives are well known throughout the world, as a superior and well valued product. Their ldw-411s and ldw-451s model drives have taken top honors in several reviews.

Take a look under the hood of several different manufacturers PCs and you will find liteon OEM drives. Liteon has been a prime player in the OEM market for some time now. I agree that Plextor makes a fine product, but its not the only good product out there in the current market.

I have lots of personal experience with Liteon drives. I have never had a problem with one of their products. I have also personally seen excellent results with older sony drives, some yamaha products were decent as well. But, guess what? do you know who really makes several of those sony and yamaha products? Liteon......

Another interesting point to be taken here. Currently the downward pressures on pricing in optical storage devices has shifted production from Japan to korea and taiwan. As this transition has been ongoing, there have been some quality control issues. Look for more of this outsourcing over the coming months. As it is not competetive any longer to continue with high manufacturing costs. The same thing that happened to US manufacturing is now happening to the Japanese.... Isn't that an interesting fact? Kind of ironic when you think about it
Old 12-28-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by wmunn
that remark regarding liteon firmware upgrading and burning coasters is ill informed at best. Liteon drives are well known throughout the world, as a superior and well valued product. Their ldw-411s and ldw-451s model drives have taken top honors in several reviews.

Take a look under the hood of several different manufacturers PCs and you will find liteon OEM drives. Liteon has been a prime player in the OEM market for some time now. I agree that Plextor makes a fine product, but its not the only good product out there in the current market.

I have lots of personal experience with Liteon drives. I have never had a problem with one of their products. I have also personally seen excellent results with older sony drives, some yamaha products were decent as well. But, guess what? do you know who really makes several of those sony and yamaha products? Liteon......

Another interesting point to be taken here. Currently the downward pressures on pricing in optical storage devices has shifted production from Japan to korea and taiwan. As this transition has been ongoing, there have been some quality control issues. Look for more of this outsourcing over the coming months. As it is not competetive any longer to continue with high manufacturing costs. The same thing that happened to US manufacturing is now happening to the Japanese.... Isn't that an interesting fact? Kind of ironic when you think about it
That's funny. All the reviews I've read of the Liteon's have been the exact opposite of what you've said. Take this review for example: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/127 I'd be curious to read the reviews where you state they have taken top honors.

Just for clarification, I never said Plextor was the best. I said it was one of the highest rated products by several consumer groups along with the Pioneer drives.
Old 12-28-03, 10:20 PM

thank you so much for your feedback. right now, i'm interested in either the lite on or the digital research one that is on sale now at best buy.
Old 12-28-03, 10:23 PM

That's funny. All the reviews I've read of the Liteon's have been the exact opposite of what you've said. Take this review for example: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/127 I'd be curious to read the reviews where you state they have taken top honors.

Just for clarification, I never said Plextor was the best. I said it was one of the highest rated products by several consumer groups along with the Pioneer drives.
You do realize that the review you linked to gave the liteon drive an editor's choice award?
Old 12-28-03, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by toogood
thank you so much for your feedback. right now, i'm interested in either the lite on or the digital research one that is on sale now at best buy.
Actually I did choose among those at best buy. I brought the liteon ldw-451s model drive home and couldn't be happier with it. It has performed flawlessly since I started using it. I have burned a few discs that had problems on my set top dvd player, but it was settings in the software and not the drive's fault. Since correcting the settings in nero, it hasn't skipped a beat. Not to mention the 40x cdr writing is icing on the cake, as I burn quite a few regular cd-r discs on a regular basis. It takes it about 2 to 3 minutes to burn a data cd.
Old 12-28-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk God

You do realize that the review you linked to gave the liteon drive an editor's choice award?
yes. apparently you didn't read their conclusion, though. look at the negative points.

here's their review for the Plextor 708A. http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/121/7

This was also given the editor's choice award. now look at the negative points. they are almost non-existent as compared to the LiteOn drive.
Old 12-28-03, 10:49 PM

yes. apparently you didn't read their conclusion, though. look at the negative points.

here's their review for the Plextor 708A. http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/121/7

This was also given the editor's choice award. now look at the negative points. they are almost non-existent as compared to the LiteOn drive.
upon reviewing the conclusions and the reader replies concerning both of these drives, they both are excellent drives, and both have some media issues. The truth is, most ALL dvd recorders on the market right now have issues with some media available for sale. I think it has more to do with some pretty crappy blanks available for sale right now. Make no mistake about it, dvd-+r has hit the mainstream this holiday season, so we should see major improvements in the media quality and drive compatibility. It is definitely a good time to jump into the game.

I would feel confident recommending either the liteon or the plextor, although I still favor the liteon for the lower price and excellent value it offers.
Old 12-29-03, 07:06 PM

Thanks again for all your feedbacks. Just got myself a lite on drive for $99 - $30 CC rebate - $30 MIR = $40. As for installing it in the second bay, I couldn't do it. Had to removed my cd burner for it to work. Oh well. If anyone else is interested, I got my drive at CircuitCity. $40 for a dual format drive isn't too shabby. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12-29-03, 07:36 PM

Did it end up being a 411s or a 451s model drive?
Old 12-29-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Did it end up being a 411s or a 451s model drive?
The 411 is listed here for $69.99 after rebates: http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...rk_7&oid=82894

so i'd assume it's that one.
Old 12-29-03, 11:56 PM
X
Administrator

You can't easily tell whether you're getting a 411s or 451s because they package them in the same box.

The serial number having an 8 in it at the correct position or the date of manufacture can provide a clue.
Old 12-30-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You'd probably have a better shot at getting a 411S in a box with the manufacture date of October 2003 (vs. November 2003 or later). I bought 2 of these, and the Oct. box had a 411S and the Nov. box had a 451S.
Old 12-31-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Just to further add to what I was saying about Lite-On and the issues w/ firmware updates, here's a link about them having to pull the latest firmaware update from their site: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8791
Old 12-31-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I's only had the 411S since Christmas and have only been burning DVD+R, but I've had nothing short of spectacular experiences with it in the past week.

My .02 cents
Old 12-31-03, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by clemente
I's only had the 411S since Christmas and have only been burning DVD+R, but I've had nothing short of spectacular experiences with it in the past week.

My .02 cents
I have a 451s model drive, and your experience mirrors mine, absolutely perfect all the way around. Quick burns, excellent compatibility, and the 40x cdr speeds are icing on the cake
Old 01-01-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the external Plextor 780UF and i love it. Best purchase ive made in a while

capt