Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Best way to get dial up internet access for one month?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-26-03, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to be on the road and away from broadband

I used to use Juno/Netzero, but they limit the amount of time and I quickly used up the 10 hours. I could sign up for their pay premium account, but last time I did that, it took 5 months to get them to quit billing me, which is a hassle for just one months use.

Any other ideas?
Old 12-26-03, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about using one of those AOL disks?

Of course, a downside is getting rid of all the AOL stuff when your done (requires ability to edit registry).
Old 12-26-03, 11:54 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
You can't possibly go back to dial-up Too slow and such a pain, and you'll be paying way too much for phone line access.

Get a Wi-Fi account and go wireless. Boingo currently has free 1-, or 3 month trial offers: http://www.boingo.com/sales/intel/

I don't know if T-Mobile has free trials, but in the worst case you can get a month-to-month plan for $39.99, unlimited nationwide access (automatically renewed unless cancelled): https://selfcare.hotspot.t-mobile.co...vices_plans.do

There are other providers like Wayport and iPass. Which one you choose depends on where you are going (which hotels, airports, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc you expect to frequent during your trip). Just go on their sites and check their hotspot locations.

Edited to add: Or you can go to Starbuks, sign up as a "new person/new Yahoo account" every time and get a free day pass. I hear randyc_217 through [email protected] are not taken yet. But, that would be underhanded and I know you wouldn't do that. Especially since Boingo has a free plan

Last edited by Psi; 12-26-03 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-26-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, i hear that some cell phones allow a USB connection to access the internet.
Old 12-26-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sign up with Earthlink. They probably still have a free trial period. Just call them up and cancel when you're done.
Old 12-26-03, 04:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

What do you currently have? If you have DSL, doesn't it allow you hours for a dial up account as well?
Old 12-26-03, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Cable thru Cox. I don't think they offer dialup access.

The T-Mobile $39.95 seems like a good possibility, if I can find a hotspot.

Specifically, I am going to be at the LA Auto Show from January 1-11 and I am trying to work out being able to access my sites during that time. My hotel does not offer boradband and does not offer a hotspot. I don't know if there is a hotspot in the Staples Center, there is a Starbucks inside.
Old 12-26-03, 08:45 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can find hot spots using http://intel.jiwire.com/ . Around Staples Center, there are lots, including some that are free (just enter the zip code 90015). And those listed are only the ones that are recognized. Usually in downtowns, I rarely have problems finding a free signal somewhere, at least during business hours.
Old 12-26-03, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by kuroiinu
You can find hot spots using http://intel.jiwire.com/ . .
Excellent link, thanks. I am pretty new to this whole wireless mobile world.

One side of the puzzle is a node that you can connect to, the other is you need to be able to log on to an account right? So that means I still need t-mobile or some sort of service.

What about going the cellular route and using a cellular modem instead? That would remove the need for a hot spot, though at a bandwidth trade off I would guess.
Old 12-26-03, 11:20 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am not sure I follow your question. Wireless means just that, it is totally wireless. Typically when you are in range of a hot spot, a screen will pop up (or you can search on your laptop for available networks). If it is a paid service, it will ask you to log in, or sign up for an account. If it's free, you really don't have to do anything; you are instantly connected. Once you are on the net, you get into your home or company network the same way you used to with dialup, only it's a lot faster, like broadband.

If you want to "practice" ahead of time, just go to your neighborhood Starbucks and try the one-day pass they usually offer (look for a flyer near the counter that has a promotion code that you can use to log in). If you have trouble, there'll be plenty of people around who can assist. You can get more info here also: http://www.intel.com/unwire/connect_hotspot.htm . I am not pushing Intel, but many people tell me that their site is informative and user firendly, not geared to geekheads only.

I am not familiar with internet access through the cell phone connection so can't really help you there. Sorry.
Old 12-27-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used Fry's dial up for 2 months for free while we were getting DSLCable Internet set up in our apartment. 3 months free, $9.95 after that - www.frys.com - not available in all areas
Old 12-27-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although this is pay-per-use, it may be a better option for you since it's short term.

From the Cox FAQ's:

4. Do you offer a dial-up line when I travel or if the cable modem happens to fail?
Answer: Yes, Cox High Speed Internet does offer additional types of Internet access other than the cable modem. Cox High Speed Internet has a toll-free number available to dial into when you are unable to use your cable modem (On business trips, vacations, etc.) There is a one-time set up fee, as well as a per-minute charge for this toll-free access, which is billed directly to a credit card. There are also many free internet access ISP's offering dial up numbers around the country.