Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I got an ipod for x-mas!!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-25-03, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody. Hope your Christmas is going well.

My parents suprised me this morning with an ipod! I had hinted around that I would like one but wasn't getting my hopes up. (I am 26 so I don't really expect BIG presents anymore) Even better, it's a 40gb!!! I can't believe it.

Anyhow, help me pimp this lil' baby out. What accessories should I buy? Which should I avoid? Has anyone tried the itrip? I am very curious about how this accessory works and the quality.

Any helpful hints on usage would be appreciated as well.

Anyone else get an ipod?

Merry christmas to all,

jay77
Old 12-25-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't get one but in addition to dvdtalk make sure you check out www.ipodlounge.com as well.
Old 12-26-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Avoid Belkin TuneCast Mobile FM Transmitter ! Unless you love static and less than perfect listening.
Old 12-26-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congratulations! I got an IPOD also this year as my big Xmas gift. I very much enjoy it although I had to exchange it once for a new one as the buttons just seized up and stopped working on me (tried to reset it, tried to clean them with a Qtip, they were just stuck). Very strange indeed.

I had one of the Belkin FM transmitters at first. It was pretty annoying as I only had four choices of stations to tune it to. We went on a 600 mile trip from Detroit to D.C. and I was spending way too much time playing with the transmitter trying to keep the music going. I've got an ITRIP just the other day but I haven't quite got it working yet.

Got myself a leather case for the IPOD (necessary as these things will scratch quite easily, not to mention all the fingerprints), and got myself a car charger for it also.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. It's already more than half full hehe.

Michael
Old 12-26-03, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by fiver

Got myself a leather case for the IPOD (necessary as these things will scratch quite easily, not to mention all the fingerprints), and got myself a car charger for it also.

Which leather case did you buy? I am worried about scratching and would like to get a nice one. The thing cost $500 so Id like to a least keep it looking nice.

Let me know how the itrip works. (Never thought that I would wish I had a cassete player in my car again- sigh.)

jay77
Old 12-26-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why not just get a cassette adapter? i used that for my cd player on my other car and it works great.
Old 12-26-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jay77:

Can't remember off hand who makes the case. It was one BestBuy was carrying; although i'm thinking of switching to one that can plug straight into a firewire docking station. I hate having to take it out every time in order to charge it. Worried about scratching it.

Michael
Old 12-26-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you looking for decent sound in the car, run in to a line in if you can, and stay away from fm tuners or cassette adapters. If you can't do a line in, use a cassette adapter over the fm tuner. I picked up the Belkin Auto Kit thingy, which charges the iPod and has a line out as well. The problem with using the headphone output as a line out is that you have to crank the volume up on the iPod and your main unit. A lot of distortion can be introduced that way.

As for cases, I couldn't find a leather one that I really liked for a decent price. I went for the iSkin.
Old 12-27-03, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by D.Pham00
why not just get a cassette adapter? i used that for my cd player on my other car and it works great.
No cassette player in my car.

Originally posted by Xanager
If you looking for decent sound in the car, run in to a line in if you can, and stay away from fm tuners or cassette adapters.
How is this done. Can some sort of an adaptor be installed that will act as a line in? I don't have any experience with this. I would buy a stereo with a line in but I already have a $400 cd player in my car that works great.

Thanks for all the replies,

jay77
Old 12-29-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry it has taken me a bit to respond; I've been out of town.

If you don't have a line in, you will need an auxilary input converter. Most head units have an auxilary input in the back for a CD changer or the such. There are companies out there that make converters to change that input to a line in or two RCA inputs. Search around a little here:

iPodlounge "In-Car Solutions" Forum

Search for P.I.E. discussions, or if you just look around you'll see some threads on the issue. They also have some good threads on which solution offers the best clarity.
Old 12-30-03, 01:49 PM

I got one too! 10 gig. Best thing I ever got. So far it has 139 Pearl Jam songs on it. Awesome.