? regarding orientation of MOV files from digicam

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-23-03, 11:40 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been taking some short movies (.mov files) with my digital camera and found it to be very useful. Oftentimes, I'll upload the movs to find that when shooting the short clip, I was holding the camera in a portrait mode and am now watching the replay through Quicktime, sideways.

Is there anyway to change the orientation of a .mov file? It would be nice to be able to do it using Quicktime and other apps, but it would really be nice to be able to do it on a permanent basis like one can do with regualr image files. I realize that I could always just shoot landscape but for the same reason one chooses to shoot regular pics portrait at times, I'd like to be able to do the same for the short movies.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-29-03, 10:24 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone, please?
Old 12-29-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have QuickTime Pro, open the movie and then go to the Movie menu and select "Get Movie Properties".

In the resulting window, use the left pop-up menu to select your video track and then use the right pop-up menu to select Size.

On this panel you'll find rotating and flipping buttons.

After you have it the way you like, you can simply save the file or save as to a new file. This method does not change or re-compress the original material. It just tells quicktime to play in back at a different orientation.
Old 12-29-03, 03:20 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey Kevin,
I did read that on Quicktime's website...but like you said, it would only change the file within Quicktime.

I don't know if maybe I can use a movie editing tool or something like that which can change the orientation for good.
Old 12-29-03, 03:30 PM

I'm not sure, but Bink Tools (free download) might incorporate something like this.
Old 12-29-03, 06:12 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I'm not sure, but Bink Tools (free download) might incorporate something like this.
interesteing tools...I tried but can't find anything, however I've emailed to their tech support to see if Bink and/or smacker can be used to do this.