Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Time to upgrade . .processor or video card??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-23-03, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother has a hand built computer with a 1.2 GHz AMD processor and a Radeon 9000 video card. When we try to play Halo through LAN, his computer is really choppy and he gets really upset cause I kill him so easily all the time. I'm thinking of upgrading the processor to an AMD 2400. Do people think this should probably help the problem or would you think it'd be more necessary to upgrade the video card first?

I don't want to upgrade both now, just trying to figure out which upgrade might give him slightly better performance.
Old 12-23-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would upgrade the video card. He can find a 9600 pro out there for about 120.00. If he is currently running 1.2 GHZ AMD, he could look at the 2500 barton for about 80.00.
Old 12-24-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Keep in mind there's more then a good chance that the motherboard won't support Athlon XP's, or possibly only support the 266mhz FSB ones.
Old 12-24-03, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Keep in mind there's more then a good chance that the motherboard won't support Athlon XP's, or possibly only support the 266mhz FSB ones.
This is true. He's probably running a thunderbird processor, as I was just before I upgraded. You'd be looking at a new cpu, ram, and Motherboard, not just a cpu. This can all be had for about 250 bucks though, if one desires so.
Old 12-24-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu
This is true. He's probably running a thunderbird processor, as I was just before I upgraded. You'd be looking at a new cpu, ram, and Motherboard, not just a cpu. This can all be had for about 250 bucks though, if one desires so.
You are correct. I just assumed!! When I upgraded mine about a year ago the total coast was $280.00 for a mobo, cpu. and ram. That did not include the video card. Fry's usually has great deals on mobo/cpu combos. The mobo may not be the best but you can pickup a 2200 amd and mobo for $77.00. That was the price last week at Fry's in AZ.
Old 12-24-03, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
I believe the Palomino core were also 266Mhz FSB. Tbred and up were 333Mhz and beyond.

When I upgraded my Tbird 600Mhz to an 1800AXP, Medal of Honor looked amazing! which was still being rendered by a 32mb vidoe card. Not too shabby.
Old 12-24-03, 01:34 PM

Yeah, I believe it was a T-bird. The MB is an ASUS A7A266, which will handle the XP2400 if I flash the bios. So I'm thinking I might upgrade the processor now and see what kind of a performance increase I get out of it. With video cards constantly changing and prices dropping, I can always upgrade that later if need be. Thanks for your guys help. Used to be so on top of the latest and greatest, but work has prevented that as of late. Stupid work, don't they know where my priorities lie?!
Old 12-24-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well, it depends on whether Halo uses more CPU power or if it requires a better graphics card. since Halo is a Directx9, and the r9000 is DirectX 8, you'd probably be better picking up the r9600p. also, he'd get a better frame rate if he'd decrease the game resolution.

here are the min. requirements:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829479
Old 12-24-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Although, Halo runs sluggishly even on my 1800+ and radeon 9700, so take that for what its worth