Multiple Wireless LANs in my area -> constantly dropping signal

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-21-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am having problems with my current setup - for some reason, all of a sudden, my network is conflicting with another person's network in my complex.

My network is secured, his/hers is not. I can surf on their network, but I don't want to - I want to only use mine. Whenever I select my network, it keeps dropping me off for some reason. I have to right click on the wireless network icon in the system tray and select "view avail. wireless networks" and select my network.

Why is this doing this? I didn't have a problem until I brought my laptop to my parents house and was using their wireless network.

Your tips are appreciated. thanks!
Old 12-21-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, I am running Windows XP Pro with all current updates installed. The 801.11b router is a SMC Barricade that is about 10ft away from my laptop at all times always maintaining an "excellent" connection.
Old 12-21-03, 11:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't you put your laptop's card into a fixed channel mode instead of having it scan for signals on all channels?

If you're having a particular problem with the channel your router is broadcasting on, how about changing the channel?

I also get the feeling you're not using WEP since you can get on someone else's network. You should at least be using encryption.
Old 12-22-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am using WEP - 64bit encryption. My wifi card is built into my laptop so I'm not sure how to keep it from not scaning - I didn't install any additional software for it. If I didn't install any software drivers (i'm letting windows handle my wifi connection) is there a way to stop it from contstantly scaning for new networks?

I just changed the channel of my router - hopefully this works.
Old 12-22-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

crap, changing the channels didn't work - i just dropped connections 3 times in the past 5 min. ugh. this is getting annoying quick.

Is there a way to just tell windows to ONLY use my specific AP and ignore the others?
Old 12-22-03, 12:32 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know about Windows, but you should be able to tell your wireless card to only connect to the network you want. Take it out of roaming mode.
Old 12-22-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I fixed the problem - I told windows that I'll handle the wireless connection myself (not have windows manage it). I installed the software utility for the wifi card and created separate profiles. The odd thing is, I didn't have to do this before it was working just fine w/o the software utility.

Thanks anyways X for the help