Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dead HD???

Old 12-21-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead HD???

Okay.. I have a homemade comp running Win 2000. 2 HDs. Primary (C) is 28 gb and running windows 2000. secondary (d & e) is used to store music, pictures, a few apps... everything has running great. i opened the computer to swap some ram... i touched the HD (C, i think) and felt a little spark, but didn;t really think about it.. I booted my comp up the next morning, it ran through bios and got to the windows black & white screen where it asks you to choose an OS.. I have 2 choices (both the same from a long time ago when i was changing OSs).. anyway.. i choose 1 and the comp freezes.. choose the other freeze also... so i think the HD might be dead... I go into BIOS and to see if it recognizes the drive using AUTO and it does.... so just for the heck of it, I put the Win 2000 CD in to boot off that and maybe reformat.. and it freezes on the recognizing hardware screen (1st screen as soon as you put the CD in)... so I pull the HD that might be dead and just leave the secondary attached.. change the BIOS and try the Win 2000 CD thing again.. and it is still freezes on the recognizing hardware screen... please throw any suggestions you have at me
Old 12-21-03, 11:42 PM
Suspended

Run the disk check utility for your HD brand, which is available from the HD brand's site. You'll know soon enough if your HDs are truely dead... Mmmm... static.
Old 12-22-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i will try that... in the meantime though, i pulled a HD out of a comp that I know works and plugged it into this one.. and it wouldn't load... it went through the bios stuff and froze.... could this all be related to my ram?? i will try and put the old ram in later
Old 12-22-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay.. the primary drive I can not boot to, but when I attach it as a secondary drive, I can see all the files on it... so now I am copying all the files... Is it possible that I only "zapped" the boot record?
Old 12-22-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

anything is possible. just make sure your files are saved and do a reinstall with the zapped HDD.

but when you went into the bios... it froze there right?
Old 12-22-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well i'm doing a reformat install of windows 2000... should be done later tonight... i'll give an update then

Originally posted by Mole177
anything is possible. just make sure your files are saved and do a reinstall with the zapped HDD.

but when you went into the bios... it froze there right?
Old 12-22-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoke to Maxtor today.. They are sending me a new drive... looks like it just died
Old 12-22-03, 05:00 PM
Suspended

New HD, sweet. Just make sure you touch the back of the PSU to discharge static next time you fool around w/ the computer components.
Old 12-22-03, 05:02 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
New HD, sweet. Just make sure you touch the back of the PSU to discharge static next time you fool around w/ the computer components.
No you want to keep those nice warm socks on and drag them around that old shag carpet for 5 minutes before touching any metal in the PC.

[note - Don't EVER do what I just said]
Old 12-22-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
I'm not sure if you're joking or not but the PSU would be one of the last places I'd touch to discharge any static...that is unless you want a new hairdo.