Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

need help with Radeon 9800 video card

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-21-03, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased my first agp video card. I was hoping i could play some of today's latest games i couldn't with my old pci TNT2.

anyway i uninstalled the TNT2 drivers, shut down and put in the new video card in the agp slot. Booted up nothing, just got no video input on my monitor. I plugged in the power in the video card and the fan works.

I looked in my hardware profiles and noticed that i don't have agp controller adapter in their. I looked for a driver online for my motherboard but i came up empty.

My motherboard is Aopen AX4SPE-N
OS is XP profesional

any advice ?

thanks
Old 12-21-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Couple of questions....

Did you remove the old TNT2 card ? If you have both AGP and PCI video cards in there, the BIOS settings may be using the PCI card as the primary card to boot up with. Try removing the TNT2 card...

How big is your power supply ? I've put a 9800 in a computer at work and had bootup problems because the power supply was too small to support the video card and all the drives.

I'd just concentrate on getting the video card to show your bootup stuff from the BIOS first before worrying about the Windows stuff....
Old 12-21-03, 11:04 AM

yes, i removed the tnt2 pci card.

the power supply is 300 watts.

do i have to set up the agp in the bios ?
Old 12-21-03, 11:57 AM

i checked in the bios, with the old card.

it has check agp for video first. I don't get what's worng

any help ?

is the power supply too small ?

do i need some drivers so windows sees the agp slot ? it doesn't in the hardware. I've read you need a agp controller before installing the card.
Old 12-21-03, 12:15 PM

ok, i tried the svid output to the tv. That seems to work, though i do get some interfierence. It might have to do with my reciever.

But my monitor still outputs nothing.

I installed the drivers nothing

please help
Old 12-21-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what monitor are you using? did you try to use the other video connector?
Old 12-21-03, 05:15 PM

i can't use the other video connection, its a dvi output. I have nothing to hook it up to. I don;t have a dvi to vga adapter.

I tried 2 monitors, a NEC MultiSync A700 and a flatscreen Philips Brilliance 151AX.

I'm at a lost here.

thanks for the sugestions so far.
Old 12-21-03, 11:24 PM

anybody ?
Old 12-21-03, 11:30 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you installed the chipset drivers that should have come with your motherboard? An AGP driver should be included.

You do have the bare minimum recommended power supply for a 9800. Just letting you know.

Perhaps you should remove all your Radeon drivers and reinstall your old card. Just stick it in, don't load its dirvers. Then make very sure you have removed all your old card's drivers. Their website may have some info on how to do that.

Then, with your old card still installed, reboot into VGA mode and do not install any drivers when the system tries to. Just verify that you can operate in VGA mode.

Then take out the old card, put in the 9800. Only connect your VGA port, not s-video or anything else to the card. You might try booting into safe mode just to verify that the VGA-out is working. Then install the ATI drivers. Do you see the POST messages as it's booting up?

What version of the Catalyst drivers are you installing? 3.10 is out now.
Old 12-22-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you are overtaxing your powersupply? I think you might try unplugging some of your drives (CDRW, DVD, even hard drive) and see if you can at least get video at the BIOS posting.

Without that video working at BIOS posting, dealing with anything in windows with chipset drivers and video card drivers isn't going to help because you can't get your video card to display even before windows can load.
Old 12-22-03, 02:09 AM

i uninstalled all the drivers and started over. updated the mb's bios, updated the drivers.

still nothing when i reboot with no drivers.

no video with all components disconnected from power supply except video card, floppy and the motherboard.

i think i'm screwed. I'm going to try it in another computer tommorow.

thanks for everyone;s help
Old 12-22-03, 07:41 PM

well i tried 3 computers now and the same result with everyone. I am convinced it is the video card's problem.

I will be getting a replacement

thanks for everyone's help
Old 12-24-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

your refresh rate on the card may be too high. can you boot the computer in safe mode? try resetting the motherboard's battery and try again?