Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

If you have a Maxtor HD get this utility for a huge increase in speed performance!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

If you have a Maxtor HD get this utility for a huge increase in speed performance!

Old 12-20-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this new utility by Maxtor. It boost the performance of your hard drive like 200%. I installed it and can not believe the increase in speed.

Link

Download MaxBoost Trialware

Maxtor.com

MaxBoost Trialware

If you wish to download and license the Maxboost Trialware, please read the Software License Agreement below. If you agree with the terms of the Software License Agreement, please fill out your user name and e-mail address , then click "I Agree" and you may then download the MaxBoost Trialware. In conjunction with filling out your name and e-mail address, you may also opt-in to receive information from Maxtor in the future regarding our upcoming Beta for MaxBoost version 2.
Old 12-20-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would recommend ghosting/backing up your hard drive before you go for the MaxBoost...
Old 12-21-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Patman
I would recommend ghosting/backing up your hard drive before you go for the MaxBoost...
Good point. I hate to say it, but it reminds me of a Mac. I can not believe how fast the folders open.
Old 12-21-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting ... but what makes this software specific to Maxtor HDDs that it can't replicate with other HDD products without the chance for data corruption/failure/poor HDD peformance?

Or is it some sort of scare tactic?
Old 12-21-03, 02:20 AM
Suspended

Righttttttt, how's about some ATTO benchmarks for before and after comparison.

The MaxBoost driver intelligently caches data in the host system RAM before it is written to and read from the Maxtor disk drive, enhancing the effective storage speed of your system under a variety of system conditions and applications.
In other words, you're compromising amount of RAM for HD performance. No thank you very much. If I wanted HD performance increase, I'd buy a IDE RAID card. Better yet, I'd get a pair of SATA HDs and RAID them.
Old 12-22-03, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It might be alright if you have enough ram that the software uses up memory that isn't being utilized or is free. Might be worth a look/trial.

Anyone benched this program yet?
Old 12-22-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
It might be alright if you have enough ram that the software uses up memory that isn't being utilized or is free. Might be worth a look/trial.

Anyone benched this program yet?
There is a bench utility built in. Check it out! You have a choice on how much ram you would like the program to use, 16 or 32MB. I have 1GB of ram and setting 16mb aside for this little program is not a big deal. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-22-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm...sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'm assuming this is all software-related and doesn't do anything like physically overtax your HD for the performance boost? If it's only a RAM cache thing I'll definitely give it a shot since I've got plenty of that!
Old 12-22-03, 02:10 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are people reporting problems and/or no performance gains they've experienced through using this program. It particularly may have bad effects if you hibernate your system and may end up just using up system memory or even slowing down your system. It also doesn't work with hyperthreading and may conflict with some motherboard's IDE drivers.

So just know what you are doing, pay attention to your overall system response and stability, and make sure you have a backup.