Program that creates Timelines ?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-19-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am looking for some software that will create a timeline that will dynamically change if I insert an event. Basically, I want to create a nice looking timeline for a project with flow shapes, but I want to make sure it is scalable. What I do NOT want to do is make the timeline in Powerpoint and have to manually move the data points when an event occured.

Also, I'd like to make these timelines somewhat flashy. Obviously the content is most important, however, these will be used as status reports and in parts of our group's communications package.

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by MitzEclipse; 12-19-03 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-19-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MS Project, if you don't mind software from "Evil Empire.' It may be overkill for a simple timeline, it can maintain rather large projects.
Old 12-19-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OldDude,

Thanks for the reply. I actually use project, however, I don't want a gantt chart of what the project is. I want something - almost like a sales pitch - that will show status of our group's progression.

Almost like a project/publisher combo - like a "create a timeline wizard" that will give me several "styles" to choose from.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Old 12-19-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No good ideas. There are some options in Project, but probably none are as jazzed up as you want. I don't know if you can maintain the data in Project and import it into another Microsoft application (PP?) to improve format. Haven't used it for a while, and don't have it on this computer.
Old 12-19-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by OldDude
No good ideas. There are some options in Project, but probably none are as jazzed up as you want. I don't know if you can maintain the data in Project and import it into another Microsoft application (PP?) to improve format. Haven't used it for a while, and don't have it on this computer.
I have project 2002 on this computer and I don't see an option to import from another app. Shoot.. that would have been cool. Some sort of project/publisher collaboration.

Maybe someone knows of a 3rd party software solution?

Thanks
Old 12-22-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bump for the Monday workday crowd...
Old 12-22-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm thinking that you could tie Visio and Project together...though i'm not sure it will work with what you want it to do. I know there are some tie-in's for the 2002 versions...I have the 2002 on my main computer, and the 2003 versions on my development box, but haven't poked around much with it.

-pedagogue
Old 12-22-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pedagogue,

Yes, I was looking at the help files this weekend and there is a way with the 2002 versions to import data from project and excel -> visio for timelines. the only problem is that they will not stay in sync. Basically , once you import the data, that's it - it is static. If you were to change a date/event on project/excel it WILL NOT mirror visio.

Ideas?

Thanks!