Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Strange problem when installing my DVD Burner...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-19-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just got the Plextor 708A. Everytime I tried to do anything with it, it went to the fatal blue screen, and said there was some sort of error. Possibilities included video drivers, bad memory or something else.

I tried a bunch of stuff, but what worked was to switch the RAM in my computer to different slots. I moved the 512 MB stick to the main slot from the secondary one, and the 128 MB stick from the main to the secondary slot.

Now, everything is working like a gem. What could be the cause of an error like this? The RAM is registering all there, so I know it's working.

My only thought is that b/c this is one of those Dimension 2400 machines, and the video memory is shared, maybe by having the 128 MB stick in the primary slot, it created some sort of problem. Any ideas?
Old 12-19-03, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just be thankful you got it working at this point. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to a problem.

I just had a situation today somewhat similar, I was installing a adrenaline scanner card, whenever I loaded the driver, it would reboot the machine. I check the kofax website, and they had no real info, I checked the HP website for the pc, they had no info. So I just messed with everything, 1 step at a time, until I found a solution. By moving the card from the top to the bottom slot in the pci riser card, the driver then loaded.

Go figure, must have been a bus mastering issue or PnP related...
Old 12-20-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

damn it. it's doing it again. it worked fine last night for a while, and now it's happening again. Arrrrrg. Plextor customer service is not open until monday.
Old 12-22-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, I took it to Best Buy to see if they could figure it out. Nothing. They couldn't figure it out either. So, I email Dell about the issue. They tell me to do something with my WinXP installation disc, and repair some stuff. Now the drive is working great. It reads discs and there are no errors so far. Hopefully when I try to burn a disc, it will work.
Old 12-22-03, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Repair some stuff with your XP OS disc?

Did you catch what exactly happened with the repair process?

Must be some IDE driver thing ... maybe.
Old 12-22-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
Repair some stuff with your XP OS disc?

Did you catch what exactly happened with the repair process?

Must be some IDE driver thing ... maybe.
Yes, I used the XP OS disc. I followed some promps and did a repair of WinXP.

I couldn't ascertain what was wrong. I do know that the drive is working well, but I've yet to burn a disc with it.
Old 12-24-03, 06:51 PM

From past experience, I've found that fatal blue screen to be caused by malfunctioning memory. I would remove the extra 128MB chip you have in your system and try again. If it still does it try to borrow a friend's 512MB chip. I'd say try the 128MB, but the minimum requirements for DVD burning ask for 512MB. Good luck!

P.S. Out of curiousity, what brand memory are you using (include specs)?
Old 12-24-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk God

In case you didn't read my last post, it's working flawlessly. There must've been a corrupt driver or something. Memory is working just fine, also.
Old 12-24-03, 11:31 PM

Whoops. Sorry about that, I didn't catch it. I'm glad to hear it's working flawlessly for you.