Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm Being Hijacked

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I'm Being Hijacked

Old 12-19-03, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Being Hijacked

It used to happen only when I browsed to url that was broken or down or timed out. Now its starting to happen even when I successfuly get to a page, thought not every time.

What happens is I'm re-directed to a page with this url C:\WINDOWS\qthcrquffvf.htm. It looks very generic but has links on it to direct me where they want me to go.

This happening to anyone else? Anyidea what the problem is and what I can do to fix it?

I'm running win/xp and IE 6.0.

thanx.
Old 12-19-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Run Ad-Aware 6, there may be something in your IE registry that's redirecting you to that file. I had something similar happen. Sometimes I would type in a url and would be redirected to another website. Also try running Spybot Search & Destroy.
Old 12-19-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Luddy
Run Ad-Aware 6, there may be something in your IE registry that's redirecting you to that file. I had something similar happen. Sometimes I would type in a url and would be redirected to another website. Also try running Spybot Search & Destroy.
That's the answer to 99% of these problems. And the correct answer to about 97% of them.
Old 12-19-03, 06:40 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do a google for the stuff on the page.
Old 12-20-03, 08:48 AM

I have been running spybot but that didn't fix the problem. Of course it would help if I would update the definitions which I did, and problem is taken care of.

thanx.
Old 12-20-03, 10:45 AM

The problem is not totally taken care of. The site I'm having trouble with is Petfinder.com. When ever I load a page for a specific pet, it loads or begins to load then is transferred to the unable to load page screen.

After running spybot, I am now getting the standard notification screen. I've sent an email to Petfinder asking if they are having problems and have asked friends to try it out also.

Well, the problem must be MS IE specific since I just tried Netscape and had no problem. Guess I'll try running spybot again.

Last edited by Johnny Angell; 12-20-03 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-22-03, 10:55 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Download HijackThis and run the scan. See if you find any entries that refer to Petfinder and delete them.

http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

Of course as with any of these types of products, take care when deleting reg entries, etc.