Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

802.11b Wifi conflicting with 2.4ghz phones...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-18-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any workaround to this? My parents now rely on wifi for one of their computers and it drops connection due to the 2.4ghz phones everywhere around the house.

I was thinking of just buying them 900mhz phones around the house now... i'm assuiming this will be the cure to the disconnect issues?

What if I got a cordless phone that was higher in frequency then 2.4ghz?

FYI It's a netgear 802.11g router.

Thanks
Old 12-18-03, 07:01 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get a 900MHz phone.

Can you change channels on the WiFi unit?
Old 12-18-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

X - thanks for the reply. Yes, I can change channels on the router and point the cards to a different channel. What channel do you recommend? Right now it is at 11.

Lower channels the better? I won't be heading to their house until the weekend.. just like to research this issue before the fact.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-03, 07:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no idea what channel (or that it will really help). Just something to try.
Old 12-19-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Would it conflict with a Nintendo Wavebird game controller too?
Old 12-19-03, 11:44 AM

I recently went through this at my house. I have a Linksys 2.4 802.11b router, and when my old 900Mhz phone died, I replaced it with a 2.4Ghz. What a mistake! The phone was pretty much unusable., between the static, clicking noises and disconnects.

The problem went away as soon as exchanged that one for a 5.8Ghz. (Which also had a lot more range, features that I'll never use, etc.)

The wavebird works fine right next to the router, so I don't think that is an issue.
Old 12-19-03, 12:09 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a hit or miss as some 2.4 GHz phones will interfere and others won't. Also be wary of 5.8 GHz phones as all of them (AFAIK) are 5.8 GHz / 2.4 GHz dual band; again some 5.8 GHz phones may work while others won't.

The safest route is 900 MHz phones. Or try a different router.

BTW, Mitz, did switching channels work? On mine, I tried 3 channels and none of them worked so I quit trying; I just stopped using my 2.4 GHz phone.
Old 12-19-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by X
You can get a 900MHz phone.

Can you change channels on the WiFi unit?
That is what I did (had to to do it). No problem since. Also no real drop in performance with the phones.
Old 12-19-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by namja
It's a hit or miss as some 2.4 GHz phones will interfere and others won't. Also be wary of 5.8 GHz phones as all of them (AFAIK) are 5.8 GHz / 2.4 GHz dual band; again some 5.8 GHz phones may work while others won't.

The safest route is 900 MHz phones. Or try a different router.

BTW, Mitz, did switching channels work? On mine, I tried 3 channels and none of them worked so I quit trying; I just stopped using my 2.4 GHz phone.
Good info about the switching on 5.8ghz phones Namja.

I haven't tried switching channels yet. Not going to be at their house until this Saturday. I will definitely post my results from there.

I actually just bought them a 900 mhz phone w/ answering machine to replace their 2.4ghz main phone. This is after I bought that phone last year for them and upgraded the rest of their phones throughout the house with 2.4 ghz phones.

Ugh. I feel like i'm going back in time or something. how lame. I hate old gadgets!