Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PVR software

Old 12-17-03, 07:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PVR software

I'm currently using Power VCR II 3.0 Deluxe as software to schedule tv show recordings. Is there better software available to do this?
Old 12-17-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What sort of card and OS do you have?

I use VirtualDubVCR+SYNC for all of my recording.

If you're into the Open Source Linux thing, I've heard both MythTV and Freevo are good programs, but I havn't ever used them.
Old 12-17-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's some other packages to check out:

SnapStream PVS 3 - This is probably one of the more popular packages. It's very full featured and gets regularly updated with bug fixes and new features.

ShowShifter - Not very familiar with it so I can't comment too much except to say that it looks like it does most of what SnapStream does.

Sage TV - Also similar to SnapStream, but offers some unique features like support for multiple tuner cards.

Myth TV - It's open source and under active development. Reputedly, it works well and looks very polished; but it can be a royal pain to get set up. It runs under Linux though so for most people that means dedicating a machine to it and turning it into an appliance (not necessarily a bad way to go). And you can't beat the price which is free.

Microsoft Media Center Edition - I recently tested the 2004 version. It's very slick and polished as one would expect from a MS product. It works quite well and my complaints about it are things that may not bother most people. For example, once again MS decides they can't use an open standard to record their shows in. Instead of using MPEG 2 like everyone else, they insist on recording in a proprietary format. The biggest drawback for most people will be the fact that you can only buy this with a new Media Center PC (available from the usual suspects like Dell, HP, etc.). You can't buy the software separately.

When I get a chance I'll probably fool around with Myth TV next. There's a distribution called KnoppMyth that tries to solve the installation issue by providing a boot disc with an automated installer on it. Most everyone who actually manages to get it working has good things to say about it. Also, apparently, they're already starting to support HD tuner cards.
Old 12-17-03, 08:31 PM
Cool New Member

sorry, i have a win-tv go hauppauge card and using xp prof.....do any of these packages work with this card?

Last edited by audsp98; 12-17-03 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-19-03, 11:21 AM

I'm curious about WinTV PVR. I was thinking about getting
the USB version. Does it not come with a program to schedule records?

Anyone out there have this?
Old 12-19-03, 11:56 AM
X
Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by tywebb1976
I'm curious about WinTV PVR. I was thinking about getting
the USB version. Does it not come with a program to schedule records?
I have it but I'm not using it with a USB tuner, rather a PCI card. It comes with a scheduler. And it's my preferred recording program.
Old 12-19-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any PVRs that currently work with an HD signal?
Old 12-19-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Lampei
Any PVRs that currently work with an HD signal?
WinTV currently produces the only HD tuner, and I think they include some software with it.