Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

can't use my Win98 scanner with XP Pro(any suggestions)...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-17-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to connect my scanner to my XP Pro laptop but the software says it cannot run on a Windows NT machine. I don't have NT. I have XP. are the 2 similar?

can I just download a free software program and use my scanner with that? It is a Visioneer Onetouch scanner. model 5300 with usb.

any help would be great. thank you.
Old 12-17-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
XP has some built in scanner wizard, not sure how well it works
check the scanner website for an update, most manufacturers have XP updates
Old 12-17-03, 08:31 PM

according to their site my scanner is not XP compatible. figures.

thanks for your response. I guess it's time to buy a new scanner. any recommendations?
Old 12-17-03, 08:31 PM

What model of scanner do you currently have? this would be a big help in assisting you.
Old 12-17-03, 08:44 PM

It's a Visioneer OneTouch 5300 with usb.
Old 12-17-03, 09:55 PM

this is from the visioneer website

5300 OS Information

Supported Operating Systems

As Microsoft continues to release new versions of it's Windows operating system, the requirements for peripherals and software change. Visioneer scanners are designed to leverage the tools and features included with the operating systems that are current when products are released. When feasible, we develop scanner drivers for new versions of Windows. On the day Windows XP was released, Visioneer had more scanners qualified to wear the Designed for Windows XP logo than any other scanner maker. In spite of our best efforts, major changes in the underlying architecture of Windows XP make it impossible to write new drivers for many of our older model scanners.

Visioneer posts the last release of drivers and provides online support for older products. Scanners designed to work with older versions of Windows may not function properly after upgrading your computer's operating system. A trade-up to current products for our valued customers is available. For more information on upgrading please click here.

Windows XP® installation

Visioneer will not be posting a certified XP driver for the 5300 series scanners.

The Visioneer 5300 USB scanner is not supported on Windows XP, although it may function properly on most systems. If you choose to install the software on Windows XP, we recommend creating a system checkpoint by using the Windows XP System Restore feature. During installation Microsoft displays a warning dialog because the driver you are installing has not been submitted to Microsoft for testing. Click the Continue button to complete the installation. If you experience any problems with your scanner or operating system, remove the software and restore to the point created before you installed the driver.
Old 12-17-03, 10:03 PM

just to clarify on that last post, I would strongly suggest following their advice regarding the system restore check point, and use the Windows 2000 driver on their site. Windows 2000 and Windows XP are very similar, and many windows 2000 drivers work just fine on XP.
Old 12-17-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
and just because it says "has not passed logo testing" does not mean it won't work. I've seen MS released updates for XP that say they haven't passed logo testing when installing them
that's about all I know about scanners since I don't have one myself
Old 12-18-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Years ago when I upgraded from windows 98 to XP Home I had to buy a new scanner because it would not work. I just looked for a great deal and never looked back. My new scanner is so much faster and better than the old one.
Old 12-18-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am using a Epson scanner with Windows 2000.It works on my Win XP machine.I get the warning at first when I install the software but finnaly it works without a problem
Old 12-18-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is there any windows equivalent to xsane (universal scanner program)? it absolutely boggles my mind that a scanner wouldn't work with XP that worked with 98... there has to be some work-around.
Old 12-20-03, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, just load up the 2k drivers. That should work. Loosely speaking, 2k is based on the NT kernel. Same with XP to a lesser extent AFAIK.

I have the Visioneer 6100(?) and I got the same message. Loaded up the 2k drivers and it works just fine. Just keep trying.

I would hope that Visioneer purposedly wrote compatible drivers for 2k/xp but are publically denying compatibility for various reasons. I know that if I was not able to get my Vis scanner working under xp i'd be pissed and I would probably look for another brand next time ... or at least be wide open for suggestions.

If I was Vis I would publically say that they won't officially support it - but make it workable with the existing drivers offered on the website to hopefully make people happy.

Another idea is to search around the various driver websites because sometimes people will custom write drivers for particular products with no guarantees - but they usually work. Usually these are people who are relatively competent at programming who take on the "challenge" on writing drivers for their equipment that aren't "supported" anymore and are nice enough to pass it on to driver websites.
Old 12-21-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also, you can do a dual boot with 98/xp.
Old 12-22-03, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by D.Pham00
also, you can do a dual boot with 98/xp.
Yep, could do that too.

If the scanner is good then it may be worth it to dual boot and go through the learning process rather than dropping 60-100 bucks on a new scanner.