Reload this Page >

DVD authoring with IfoEdit (No audio?)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-16-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have a problem with the audio in the final VOB files for the DVD that I'm authoring (backing up a 120 minute LD).

I've captured to AVI using a Datavideo DAC-100 via firewire/WinDV.

I have an AVI files around 27GB in size, the audio is embedded in the AVI file (plays normally).

I stripped out the audio with VirtualDub, resulting in a Wave file. I verified that the Wave file has the audio from the LD. I also used VirtualDub to combine the AVI files into the big 27GB AVI file.

I used TMPGEnc to crunch the video portion into a M2V files (it'll fit on a 4.7GB DVD). I'll have to play around with the bitrate to better utilize all of the DVD (I made one that was too big, and the current one has 500MB unused).

I used BeSweet/BeSweetGUI to convert the Wave file to an AC3 file. I used WinAmp5 and the AC3Filter to verify that the audio from the AC3 is present when it got created from the Wave file.

Then, the Muxing portion is where I guess I am having problems.

I know DVDLab is recommended for authoring, but being a little cheap and adverturous, I'm using IfoEdit 0.96 to do the muxing of the M2V file and the AC3 file. Once it creates the VOBs and the IFO files (I have them created in a directory "Video_TS" for burning later), I then have it do the "Get VTS Vectors" to make the IFO compliance with standalone DVD players. (I didn't do this initially, and the DVD I burned was unplayable in the DVD player). Now I did the VTS vector step, and the DVD will play, but all I get is the video. I get no audio at all.

The VOB files I play on the PC also have no audio embedded in them either.

So, if there something else I'm not doing to get the audio muxed into the final VOB with IfoEdit?
Old 12-17-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, perhaps the AC3 audio file I've created just isn't up to snuff.

I gone ahead and muxed the M2V and the AC3 files using DVD Lab, and I still don't get any audio when I play it (but the video plays as expected).

Here are the audio attributes (using IfoEdit's Play DVD feature):

Audio Application Mode=DVD_AudioMode_None
Audio Format = DVD_AudioFormat_AC3
Multichannel Extension = false
Number of Audio Channels = 2
Sampling Frequency = 48000
Sampling Quantization = 16
Language Code LCID = 1033
Language Code Extension = DVD_AUD_EXT_NotSpecified

Is the first line telling me that my AC3 file isn't a valid audio file to be muxed into a VOB?
Old 12-17-03, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, crisis over. For some reason, BeSweet wasn't making compliant AC3 files. I found out that another AC3 encoder, FFMpeg creates AC3 files that can be muxed together to make VOBs with sound to them.