Reload this Page >

How long should a monitor last?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-16-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Viewsonic G800 19" crt that I got for free about 18 months ago. Actually I got three and gave two of them away. They were all manufactured in 1997 and one I gave to friend is now dead. Is there a limited lifetime on these? Mine seems to blur at times now and I am beginning to wonder if I should be looking for a replacement.
Old 12-16-03, 11:23 PM

Totally depends on the monitor - brand, which usually equals construction quality, how you treat it, a bit of luck of the draw... I've got some monitors around here that are at least 8-9 years old, and still working fine. I've had one that died within a year, and had to be exchanged under warranty. There's no real timeline.
Old 12-17-03, 02:34 AM

I agree with Dirk. I've got more than a few old monitors (9-11 years) sitting around that still work perfectly fine. Some have gotten blurry from overuse and burn-in, but I've never had the unfortunate experience of a dead monitor. Check your documentation, if you have it, but if it was manufactured back in 1997, it's a safe bet to say that that warranty is done. Might want to look into getting a high quality monitor, though I couldn't make any suggestions.
Old 12-17-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most monitors only carry a 3 year warranty for parts and labor, but you either have to bring it to them or ship it to them at your cost. I've had some monitors only last 18 months, but I have some sitting around the office that are around 7 to 8 years old and still working(kinda...).
I remember Sony used to make good monitors, but I havent used one in a couple years so i cant tell you for sure if they still do or not. Right now I use Samsung monitors and I dont have any complaints(knocks on wood.).
Old 12-17-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Color-accurate life" is always considered 2-3 years. That is, the length of time that the monitor can maintain the same colors. After that time the monitor takes notably longer to warm up and while in use will frequently shift colors. A 5% change in color is too much when you need to use the monitor to make color decisions.

That said, a monitor can definitely last significantly longer than that and be usable for just about any other purpose. My experiences say that after about 5 years something goes wrong enough that I can justify buying a new one.

How long your monitor will work also depends upon how you use it. A monitor in an open environment with plenty of airflow will last significantly longer than one that's boxed in. A monitor run at it's highest resolution will have a shorter life than one run at a lower resolution, too.
Old 12-17-03, 08:37 PM

monitors do tend to last much longer than the computer they come with. At least usable lifetime

I have a few monitors around my house from the mid eighties that work fine, but the resolution is so low that they are pretty much worthless. Maybe I should toss them now?