Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

iTunes downloads - usability with Archos Jukebox

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-15-03, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Archos Multimedia Jukebox, which I really love. However, it only plays MP3 files. What format are iTunes downloads in? I'm guessing only AAC and I haven't been able to find any info out on the net for some reason.

Can the downloads be had in MP3 format, and if so what is the quality?

I will still probably use iTunes for other purposes regardless, but I'd like to know if I have the option of buying music there if I'm so inclined.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-03, 09:26 AM

AFAIK ITunes is only AAC with DRM. The kicker is the DRM only works with Apple products so you have to use ITunes and / or an IPod. Vanilla AAC is supported by some players. You could burn a cd with them and then rip / encode to whatever standard you want, but that seems like a pia to me.
Old 12-17-03, 09:15 PM

Hmm.. This software is all the rage - great reviews. I figured there'd be a ton of responses to this question.

Thanks in advance if anyone can pass on some insight.
Old 12-17-03, 09:36 PM

give it some time, either there will be a conversion program released, or the underground archo firmware guys will release a firmware update to allow the archos to play the file format.
Old 12-18-03, 02:15 AM
Suspended

Ummmm.... you can convert, or in iTunes lingo, import, AAC to MP3 using iTunes.

Burning a compressed format to CD by converting it to CDA, and compress it again from CDA to another format is about the dumbest thing ever. But if you can't hear the difference, by all means go ahead, no one's stoppping you.
Old 12-18-03, 07:06 AM

So when you download a song, you can convert it to MP3 right within iTunes? And regardless, their songs are playable on any hardware?
Old 12-18-03, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Ummmm.... you can convert, or in iTunes lingo, import, AAC to MP3 using iTunes.

Burning a compressed format to CD by converting it to CDA, and compress it again from CDA to another format is about the dumbest thing ever. But if you can't hear the difference, by all means go ahead, no one's stoppping you.
Are you saying you can take AAC songs purchased from Itunes and make them mp3 within ITunes or convert vanilla AAC songs that you made yourself into mp3s? The reencoding was just a work around to remove drm.