Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP - New P4 2.5 motherboard/CPU & WIN XP BSOD

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-15-03, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I need some help from all of you. It's finals weeks and I just got a new motherboard/CPU combo from Fry's for 149.99. It's the P4 2.5Ghz with ECS motherboard. I previously got an AMD 2600+ with FIC KV-748 (?) and it crapped out on me.

Every time that I disconnect the power from the case, the damn thing doesn't boot. I have to clear the CMOS for it to start again. This is a recurring problem. When it does and finally boots, I tried install the video drivers for my PNY nVIDIA GeForce 440 (64MB one), the AMD locks up on me. I tried it with Max Payne 2 and Midnight Club 2. I finally gave up and exchanged it with the P4 on that ad I saw today.

After putting everything together, everything is fine until it starts to load Win XP Pro. It give me the boot menu with Safe Mode when I just clean installed my Win XP. When I select an option, any one, it goes to the blue screen telling me I have a problem and the system has halted for 'my sake'.

So here I am, trying to figure it out in between finals. Anyway help or previous experience is a great help. If I've missed in crucial information, please let me know and I'll post it up.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-03, 12:30 PM

For the AMD system, did you install the chipset drivers before installing the vid card drivers?

Also, I assume it was okay as long as you didn't disconnect the power - correct? In that case, I'd say you've probably had a dead CMOS battery - replacing it would probably fix that problem.

What exactly is the error message the P4's giving you?
Old 12-15-03, 01:45 PM

The error message the P4 gave me was that Windows has locked up becuase there was a problem with my HD. They said that if my machine had restarted unexpectedly, then I should reboot.

The thing is that I restarted the PC after installing my video drivers and I never saw my desktop again. I'm sure it's a problem that I've overlooked, but I can't seem to find pinpoint what it is.

I can't even get on to my desktop, so I can't do anything. The on;y time the system allows me to do anything is when I boot with the Win XP CD and have it install.
Old 12-15-03, 03:46 PM

But what's the exact error message - that'd be helpful in trying to determine the problem.
Old 12-15-03, 06:13 PM

The message says that the computer has either shut down unexpectedly or it have a virus in it.
Old 12-15-03, 11:16 PM

run a full memory test on start up ( should be an option in the Bios) to see if it is a bad stick of ram. Try and lower the fsb some times your computer just turns off, that happened to me at least.
Old 12-18-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

was this a fresh install of XP, or did you just slap the old hard drive in a new body?