Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

PCI Card Driver Problems!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-14-03, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed a new Biostar motherboard and everthing has been working great with it except for the fact that my firewire card will not install. Windows has a native driver for IEEE devices which installed without even prompting me when using my old motherboard. I have also tried installing my PCI sound card, Windows sees the card but it doesn't install the drivers for it and the device just stays uninstalled in device manager, just like the firewire card. I have tried:

- Switching PCI Slots
- Upgrading the Nvidia chipset drivers
- Upgraded BIOS

Nothing has worked, the card will not install. What could cause this? The next step will be reinstalling Windows 2000 which I really do not want to do!
Old 12-15-03, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried to install the drivers through Device Manager? After double-clicking on the device, in the "Drivers" tab, you may get a message that the drivers have not been installed. (That's what happens with my network card when I install Windows.) Click on "Update Driver" and specify the path where the drivers are. In the case of the IEEE card, you can try letting Windows search for the driver (since you say it has a built-in driver for it) or look on the manufacturer's website for an appropriate driver.