Reload this Page >

A question about large HDs in older systems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-12-03, 10:24 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad has an old 200mhz intel pc with win95 or win98, anyway I'd like to upgrade his HD but is it the OS or the hardware that limits the maximum capacity of HD compatible?
Old 12-12-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's the BIOS that's the limitation. You can easily purchase a Promise IDE controller card to bypass that limitation or buy one one of the retail box hard drive that comes with one. It's very cheap. I think it's less than $25.
Old 12-12-03, 10:59 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I had a similar problem with an older computer I used for .net deployment and testing. Anyway, hard drive cap. limited to 36 GB or something by the BIOS, had a few larger drives. I picked up a couple of Promise Tech Ultra 100TX2 IDE Controllers off of ebay for like 20 bucks bundled together. go for one of those, they work well.
Old 12-12-03, 10:59 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Thanks zuffy, so I can get a ide controller and the older OS will not be an issue?
Old 12-12-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zuffy
It's the BIOS that's the limitation. You can easily purchase a Promise IDE controller card to bypass that limitation
wasn't there also a limitation in the FAT16 filesystem that it could only see partitions up to 2GB in size. (when did FAT32 come into play? OSR2? win98?) If this computer is using an old version of windows, he might be limited to 2GB partitions which would be a royal pain if you buy a 40GB hard drive.

edit: my 200mhz pentium came with win3.1... so i'm assuming this computer has an early version win95 at the latest?
Old 12-12-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Win95 OSR2 supports FAT32. As long mapson dad's PC has win95 OSR2 or above, he can format the hard drive as FAT32. Otherwise, it's time for an OS upgrade to Win98.