Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

parite virus

Old 12-10-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parite virus

Yesterday, I got the parite virus. I have Norton and AVG installed now and most everything seems ok. The virus basically spreads and makes all your .exe files corrupt. Initially, AVG "healed" the files and removed the code in the .exe files. I wake up this morning and Norton has fixed infected files in its quarantine folder only. files like 08D334532.exe etc. I assume they are copys of my exe files with the virus. Am I able to delete these files in the quarantine folder? I have restarted 3 or so times and have no sign of the virus in the TEMP folders, or "PINF" in the registry. Should I uninstall Norton and just run AVG?
Old 12-10-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should be able to. Right click and delete perm. etc... If its already in the quarantine folder, then it should be safe to do so.
Old 12-10-03, 10:33 PM

I deleted them and everything seems ok now. I think Norton was finding the infected .exe's over night and then quarantining and copying the infected files over and over again. I think I had 7 or 8 winamp.exe by morning. I ended up deleting around 3 gigs worth.
Old 12-11-03, 06:17 PM

Is it ok to check "read only" for all my .exe files? Would this prevent a virus from modifying the .exe? Or do programs ever need to modify their own .exe?