Chair mat for rooms with thick carpet?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-09-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,
I have a plastic chairmat right now for my computer chair, however, since it is on thick carpet whenever i put all my weight on one leg of the chair it will crack the plastic chairmat.

Is there a more 'rugged' or stronger chairmat that I can buy online? I checked staples, compusa, officemax and they only have one chair mat, similar to what I have.

Thanks
Old 12-09-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what about putting something hard under the mat?
Old 12-10-03, 03:47 PM

Get a large piece of wood and cut it to fit around your desk. We've done this several times in my house - it works great.

You can also put contact paper on the edges and paint some form of sealant on the entire board to make it nice and smooth. It's really nice and much better than those mats.
Old 12-10-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only problem with putting something on the floor underneath the mat is that the mat has those "prickly plastic things" (not sure the technical term) on the bottom thus you cannot put something hard underneath. those plastic things is so the mat doesn't move around on the carpet.
Old 12-10-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got one at Costco. Either it is more sturdy, or my chair wheels are more 'wide track' because it works OK.

Be sure the "prickly plastic things" (I don't know what they are called either) are shorter than the nap of your carpet. If they are too long, they make a 'bridge' every couple of inches, and mat sags in middle where there is no support.
Old 12-10-03, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
The only problem with putting something on the floor underneath the mat is that the mat has those "prickly plastic things" (not sure the technical term) on the bottom thus you cannot put something hard underneath. those plastic things is so the mat doesn't move around on the carpet.
With my recommendation, you would completely eliminate the mat, so you wouldn't have to worry about those.
Old 12-10-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by futbol
With my recommendation, you would completely eliminate the mat, so you wouldn't have to worry about those.
Thanks for the recommendation, but the only problem is that i dont want any wood in my room. the feel of the room is very modern and all of the furniture and laptop is either black, silver, chrome, or bone color. A piece of wood would look wierd.
Old 12-10-03, 09:03 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lose weight

Or buy a plastic mat without those prickly things (They are sold for hardwood floors).
Old 12-10-03, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
Thanks for the recommendation, but the only problem is that i dont want any wood in my room. the feel of the room is very modern and all of the furniture and laptop is either black, silver, chrome, or bone color. A piece of wood would look wierd.
Ah, yes. Then that wouldn't work too well for you then.
Old 12-12-03, 06:38 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

mitz, thanks for posting this thread, I am am building my desk for my room, and relazied I need a mat, so now I can go get one , I saw a thick one at BB last night