Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

N-Force 2 MB only runs for two seconds...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-09-03, 02:29 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got a N-force 2 motherboard style 8RDA3G. I installed everything twice, and it still doesn't work. The unit will POST fine, but shortly after that, it will just shut off, requiring me to un-plug the computer and plug it back in. I thought it may be the CPU temp protection not detecting the CPU fan rpm's, however I've tried another cooler, and no change. I have heard this problem before, but never known the solution, someone please help.

Thanks in advance, ~Joe
Old 12-09-03, 02:30 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have the CPU's heatsink on correctly?

Are you sure?
Old 12-09-03, 04:06 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, its not the CPU rpm monitor causing the power-down. Any other ideas?
Old 12-09-03, 04:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not talking about the CPU rpm monitor.

I'm talking about the CPU overheating due to the heatsink not being seated properly and the motherboard shutting itself down before the CPU fries.
Old 12-09-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely sounds like a heat issue. Were it an electrical short or a circuitry problem, it would refuse to boot or shut down almost immediately. The consistent time delay is a classic indicator of heat buildup leading to shutdown.

- David Stein
Old 12-09-03, 06:39 PM
Cool New Member

I thought I allready would have eliminated that problem, but you were right! Thanks so much, I appreciate your help.

~Joe
Old 12-09-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's amazing that these things can heat up so much in just a second or 2.

Dave
Old 12-10-03, 03:43 AM
Suspended

You got a short in that system of yours, probably between the mobo and mobo tray of the case. Make sure you put in the spacers correctly under the mobo (6 is the norm). Also make sure you connected the power cables to the devices correctly, incorrect connection such as misalignment will also give you a short. Make sure you clear the CMOS jumper after you do this.

You might also want to see if you have a DOA malfunction mobo. To do this, take the mobo out of the case and put it on top of the bag it came in and plug only the necessary devices and components to it (CPU+HSF, RAM, floppy if you're old school and still knows it's purpose, optical drive, and video card. Boot it up. By placing the mobo outside of the case, you'll avoid any chance of short and will know instantly if it's just the mobo or a shortage. You can also replace components easily to figure out which one's bad if it isn't the mobo, ie, RAM, video card, etc.

BTW, if it's an heat issue, it'll take more than 2 secs. But then, when the indication creeps into your nose, it'll be too late, 'cause it'll be toasted already.
Old 12-10-03, 02:43 PM

Why not try the power issue? I've installed several Nforce 2 Ultra 400 boards into my systems. I had one system with a dodgy power supply (300W no name). Once I removed the case fans from the motherboard connectors. I could get the system to boot into Windows.