Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

RAM drive?

Old 12-09-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAM drive?

I've decided to set up a SHOUTcast server, but I'm concerned about spinning tunes off of a hard drive 24/7 - way too much mechanical wear for my tastes. Since I only have about 300 tracks to spin up (900mb or so), I thought it might be nice to just play them out of RAM and keep the drive spun down. It will have to reload RAM whenever a reboot occurs, but since this is a dedicated machine, I'm hoping that this is rare.

What's the best way to do this? Theoretically, I could just let them get automatically cached in RAM and stay there, but I don't think that WinXP will do this automatically. I'd prefer to set up a RAM drive, but I don't know how to do this.

Your thoughts?

- David Stein
Old 12-09-03, 01:51 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You got an extra 900MB of RAM on your computer that you're not using? If so, you can use a ramdisk program.

It would be more cost effective to just get a couple really small capacity hard drives and dedicate one at a time to it. Trash them if they die (which they probably won't).
Old 12-09-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
You got an extra 900MB of RAM on your computer that you're not using? If so, you can use a ramdisk program.
That's my thinking (see above.) Know of any good programs that do this?
Originally posted by X
Trash them if they die (which they probably won't).
Hmm - really? A hard drive won't just melt after a month or two of constant operation?

- David Stein
Old 12-09-03, 03:16 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by sfsdfd
That's my thinking (see above.) Know of any good programs that do this?
I just happen to have found one the other day. They're fairly rare for modern OSs.

Let me see if I can find the link or I can just email it to you.
Hmm - really? A hard drive won't just melt after a month or two of constant operation?
Not at all. It would mostly be sequential access so your drive wouldn't be thrashing. But that's what they're made for anyway. And it would be cheaper than adding another GB of RAM to your computer.
Old 12-09-03, 03:25 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by X
It would be more cost effective to just get a couple really small capacity hard drives and dedicate one at a time to it. Trash them if they die (which they probably won't).
I like this idea.

A friend of mine has an old 1 GB HD installed in his computer just for the page file (vitual memory) because he worried about the constant writing/reading by the CPU/RAM to his main HD. That HD is like 10 years old and still running well.
Old 12-09-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I have a couple of old 1GB drives, too. In fact, I'm using a 6GB drive to host the MP3 files and some FTP access. However, I'm opposed to just grinding it into the ground - this just creates more cost maintenance work for me down the road. Plus, given the age of the drive (five years?), it's probably pretty susceptible to heat.

X: No sweat - I found one. It works really well! It emulates hardware so well that the Windows XP hardware installation wizard came up! Solves my needs perfectly; thanks everyone.

- David Stein
Old 12-10-03, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
What is the name of the RAMdisk program you found, and could you provide a link to it?

The RAMDISK program I'm using now (ARDisk) refuses to allocate > 135 MB out of my 1 GB because it seems that the system cache hogs all the rest of RAM....

How were you able to allocate 900 MB dedicated RAM to a RAMDISK in XP? Do you have 2 or 4 GB in your machine?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zyzzle
What is the name of the RAMdisk program you found, and could you provide a link to it?
RamDisk XP Home and Pro

(Annoyingly, they sell a different version for every version of Windows, and paying the excessive fee only gets you the version for one OS. But that aside, it appears to work well!)
Originally posted by zyzzle
How were you able to allocate 900 MB dedicated RAM to a RAMDISK in XP? Do you have 2 or 4 GB in your machine?
Oh, I didn't test it that much yet - I don't even have that much RAM in my machine. But I'm planning on buying a 512MB memory card in a week or so, and allocating all of it for the RAM drive.

- David Stein
Old 12-10-03, 09:07 AM

Think of Tivo or ReplayTV. I've had my ReplayTV (showstopper) for over three years and the hard drive is still running great. Granted it hasn't been 24hr/day for three years, but I rarely turn it off and it's constantly recording and playing MPEG video.
Old 12-10-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Think of network servers. I have servers that have been running constantly for more than 6 yrs. If you don't mind the noise/power consumption, let your disks do their job.
Old 12-10-03, 12:13 PM
X
Administrator

Given the price of the one you found, you might want to check out this one.

http://users.compaqnet.be/cn181612/RAMDisk/RAMDisk.htm

Free with suggested donation of $10 and it works on multiple OSs.
Old 12-10-03, 12:16 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by X
Given the price of the one you found, you might want to check out this one.

http://users.compaqnet.be/cn181612/RAMDisk/RAMDisk.htm

Free with suggested donation of $10 and it works on multiple OSs.
Interesting. Maybe it's time for more RAM.
Old 12-10-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sfsdfd

Just an alternative thought for you, you can buy one of those USB flash drives in a 1.0G capacity and just run everything off of it. Cost is about the only downside, everything else would be an up side to using this style of drive.

This was about the cheapest I could find

1.5gb for $180

http://store.yahoo.com/komusa/susb201cadr.html

http://www.s-media.com.tw/products/m...zvsave1500.htm

Just a thought