Reload this Page >

Questions about burning photos to a CD

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-06-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I tried burning photos to a CD, and my burner starts, and stops, starts, and stops. It did this for a half hour (I only had like 10 jpegs on the CD, too) I end up having to turn off my computer to get the CD to stop spinning. It just sat at 0% and did nothing else. I don't think it takes more then 30 mins to burn about 1mb of data, lol.

I have a Sony 52x24x52 CD writer. I am using Memorex CD's, and I have tried using both MusicMatch and Nero to burn them.

I have no problem burning mp3's, making copies of my games, or my music CD's.

Is there some trick to burning photos onto a CD or am I just not doing something right?
Old 12-07-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning photos onto a cd should just be like burning data. I actually use Adaptec Easy CD, because that;s what came with my computer. Choose Data and just load up all the photos you want to burn.
Depending on how many jpegs you have, however, and what program you're using, what takes the longest isn't the actual burning, but the 'preloading' of the photos. The program sometimes 'checks' each file before burning it, and if you have a lot, that can take a while.
How are they organized? Are they ina bunch of subfolders, or just one big folder?
On a side note, Memorex CDRs are the one brand I have had trouble with; I have better luck with the cheapo Imations.
Old 12-07-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's just a few jpegs, like 10 pictures. It's for a friend, and she just wants those 10 pictures, no more. It's less the a meg in size, and I tried both throwing them on there with and without a folder. I selected data, and it does the same thing every time, just sits there and spins and stops spins and stops.

I have no trouble burning anything else, though.
Old 12-07-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another Adaptec Easy CD user. I just select a mess of files and drag&drop them in Windows Explorer. Never had a problem. (You have to click on Adaptec icon and let it close the disc in this mode though, or you have another fine coaster with a hole in the middle.)

I still have a large supply of old Imation 4X CD-Rs. My computer will burn faster, but copying well to well, 4X is about as fast as it can read, stream, and write without buffer underflow so it was a good deal for most of the copying I do.
Old 12-07-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The CD's never have anything burned on them when I try to burn the photos. I would have thought I coastered 3-4 of them but each CD is still blank.

I tried 3 different programs, and none of them will burn the photos.
Old 12-07-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What OS are you running?

If it's Windows XP, then you can drag & drop the photos on the CD drive or select the photos and right click, choose send to & click on the CD drive. No need for a separate program for this task.

Sonicflood
Old 12-08-03, 12:20 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had problems like this, usually it means a driver failed somewhere and a reboot fixed whatever went wrong.
Old 12-08-03, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Sonicflood
What OS are you running?

If it's Windows XP, then you can drag & drop the photos on the CD drive or select the photos and right click, choose send to & click on the CD drive. No need for a separate program for this task.

Sonicflood
I'll try and see if that works.
Old 12-08-03, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by duz
I've had problems like this, usually it means a driver failed somewhere and a reboot fixed whatever went wrong.
I rebooted a few times, and it never went away.
Old 12-08-03, 07:10 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not that this solves your problem, but if they amount to less than a Meg, put them on a diskette and this way, you get them to your friend in the meantime.
Old 12-08-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ngp
Not that this solves your problem, but if they amount to less than a Meg, put them on a diskette and this way, you get them to your friend in the meantime.
Yeah, I would, but she wants to take the CD to get some reprints of the photos or something like that.
Old 12-08-03, 07:37 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

if you put them on a floppy, maybe she can burn them at her house(if she has a burner),
I also use easy cd creator with no problems
Old 12-09-03, 03:59 PM

Try using the Nero Wizard to burn the CD. I was having the same trouble using Nero, but when I allow the wizard to set it up, no problems.