DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Any good, simple program to track Credit Card spending? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/333888-any-good-simple-program-track-credit-card-spending.html)

Roy28 12-05-03 12:40 PM

Any good, simple program to track Credit Card spending?

I buy a lot of stuff online and like to keep a record of all charges to check against my statement at the end of the month. Right now I just keep type the date, name of the store and the amount or each charge in a text file and edit it as needed.

Is there any simple freeware or inexpensive program out there to keep track of this kind of stuff? I don't need any bells and whistles - just something that will let me make a seperate entry for each charge, keep a running tally of the total amount and allow me to delete charges when they are paid.

Autofill with the current date and store name would be a plus, and a checkbox beside each charge so I can check/batch delete all the paid items when I pay my bill would be nice too. These features aren't that important, but would be convenient if there is a program that has them.

I tried doing this through Microsoft Money, but it was just too much for what I'm needing - I'm want to go the simple route here. Any Recommendations?

Roy

Joshic 12-05-03 01:14 PM

why not create a simple spreadsheet in excel?

Roy28 12-05-03 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Joshic
why not create a simple spreadsheet in excel?
I don't have excel. However, I did try the spreadsheet in Works after reading you post. Still, it was a little complicated for my purposes - I may play around with it a little more when I have some time and see if I can get something set up.

Thanks for the Advice,

Roy

ChiTownAbs, Inc 12-05-03 03:29 PM

quicken?

FuzzyBallz 12-05-03 11:06 PM

Login to your credit card's website where you can download your spendings in excel format.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 12-05-03 11:19 PM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Login to your credit card's website where you can download your spendings in excel format.
that's exactly what i was gonna suggest.

Roy28 12-05-03 11:40 PM

I can view or download my spending from the banks website, but it's not a copy of the charges that I need. What I need is something that will let me manually input the charges on my end. I usually have 75 - 100 charges a month and I keep a list (in a .txt file right now) so I can compare them to my statement to check for errors, double charges, overcharges, etc. (which has happened several times). Just downloading the list of charges from the bank's website would only show me what has been charged, not what should have been charged in the case of an error.

I thought maybe there was some simple freeware/shareware program out there that would let me manually store the charge amounts. Then I could compare this list against my paper/online statement to make sure everything is correct.

Anyway, the way I do it now works fine, I was just looking for something that would autofill the date and the name of the store to make things a little simpler. I may to find a find of trial version of Quicken - it seem like it would work for my purposes.

Thanks for the tips,

Roy