Reload this Page >

advice needed re: DSL connection

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-04-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, i'm so frustrated and i'm getting nowhere with verizon. if anyone can provide some advice i'd really appreciate it!

we switched from dial-up to DSL a few months ago. It's always been slow, but we didn't know what to expect ( a technician ran a test and we were connecting at 64K!)

a guy came out yesterday and basically told us this:

1) the wires coming into our apartment building are old and badly worn and verizon will most likely NOT do anything about them

2) our building is about 100 feet from being out of range for DSL service

his suggestion was to switch to comcast cable modem but i refuse to become a comcast customer again. so, what are my other options? should i speak to verizon (who we have both long distance and local phone service with) and see if they'll offer us a discounted rate because technically, they're providing (and i'm paying for) a service they cannot adequately provide. or are we screwed and must start looking for other options? (if so, any suggestions???) Or what about talking to the utilities commision about them?

any advice would be terrific! you guys always have great suggestions!
Old 12-04-03, 10:40 AM

I think they should refund the difference between DSL and Dial-up for the time you paid, since you weren't getting any better bandwidth.

The bad phone lines are probably minor compared to the range issue. Once they have a station closer to you providing the DSL, your speed will increase dramatically. Who knows when that'll be, however.
Old 12-04-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure somewhere in the contract it states that they don't have to provide service if there is a reason why they can't, like bad wiring that isnt their responsiblity (your apartment) or having to remove load coils and other things like that. If it costs them $10,000 (which is very easy believe me) to be able to get you service they aren't going to give it to you when your going to be paying $30 a month. There is not much they can do when you live out of DSL range.
Old 12-04-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mopower
I'm sure somewhere in the contract it states that they don't have to provide service if there is a reason why they can't, like bad wiring that isnt their responsiblity (your apartment) or having to remove load coils and other things like that. If it costs them $10,000 (which is very easy believe me) to be able to get you service they aren't going to give it to you when your going to be paying $30 a month.
i understand this, i wouldn't expect that to happen, especially since there are only about 16 apartments affected

There is not much they can do when you live out of DSL range.
how about not offer it? isn't it fraudulent to offer a service for a fee when you cannot actually provide that service? this is my main concern.

if we can't have DSL thru them i just need to find something else but i shouldn't be paying for something i'm not receiving, right? are all providers i go to going to have to use those same corroded lines?
Old 12-04-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hgar78
i understand this, i wouldn't expect that to happen, especially since there are only about 16 apartments affected

how about not offer it? isn't it fraudulent to offer a service for a fee when you cannot actually provide that service? this is my main concern.

if we can't have DSL thru them i just need to find something else but i shouldn't be paying for something i'm not receiving, right? are all providers i go to going to have to use those same corroded lines?

No you shouldn't be paying for it if you aren't getting it. But they don't have to gurrantee service. They might offer it but as I said I'm sure in the fine print it says that they might not be able to offer it in your area. Yes, all providers are going to be using the same lines from the CO to your apartment so it doesn't really matter. I'd go with cable if it was availible.