Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PC tech moron

Old 12-03-03, 11:45 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC tech moron

My local news aired a story about wiping your HDs before you get rid of your computer. Told standard stuff like "stuff in the recycle bin isn't really gone" and went on to the main thrust of the story-- a free commercial for one certain company that sells a service where you go to their web site and have them do a secure erase on-line. So they cut to a clip of some big-wig at this company (maybe the creator?) holding an open HD as a prop-- and he goes to explain how the hard drive "etches" the data onto the discs of the drive. That was the word he used.

When it went back to the newslady she told how it the service only works on Windows machines with Intel processors, but I guess that I'll let that one slip. (Since I'm pretty sure the program would work on AMD and other x86 compatible chips).
Old 12-04-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you really want to wipe data off your drive, US Government regulations state that for hard drives containing classiffied info the following needs to be done. Physicall take the drive apart and with a metal pad wipe the disk platters.

There was also some program that they used for non-classified computers that basically required multiple formats of a drive.
Old 12-04-03, 11:38 AM

The point is, the hard drive does not "etch" data onto the platter, and a top official at a company related to hard drive technology should know that.
Old 12-04-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
The point is, the hard drive does not "etch" data onto the platter, and a top official at a company related to hard drive technology should know that.
They were probably just dumbing it down for people to understand. Plenty of people think the monitor power switch turns their computer on and off!
Old 12-04-03, 02:00 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mopower
They were probably just dumbing it down for people to understand. Plenty of people think the monitor power switch turns their computer on and off!
Thats because it used to. Thats how my PS/2 was wired up.
Old 12-04-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Mopower
yep
back when i was in tech support.. and was working on an upgrade project.. i sent a bulk email to a bunch of users asking them to send me the assett tag number off their computer so I could verify our database was correct and see if they needed a hardware update..
I would say that at least 15% of the people that I emailed, sent me back the assett tag number off the front of their monitor
Old 12-04-03, 02:39 PM

Be glad that they didn't rip off the tags and bring them to you.
Old 12-06-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by twikoff
yep
back when i was in tech support.. and was working on an upgrade project.. i sent a bulk email to a bunch of users asking them to send me the assett tag number off their computer so I could verify our database was correct and see if they needed a hardware update..
I would say that at least 15% of the people that I emailed, sent me back the assett tag number off the front of their monitor
That's why we put the name of our user's computer on their monitor as well.
Old 12-07-03, 11:59 AM

we put the telephone extension number in the extended information field, which coincides with their physical office number, so that we can figure all that out remotely. We use remote software to pull machine names and extended info, then match it up so we have a map of the people who need upgrades. Anything we can do to remove the user from the equation is a good thing