Reload this Page >

HELP! Looking for a PDA...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-17-03, 10:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this is the forum I need for this. If this is the wrong one I apologize. I am looking for a PDA for a Christmas gift. I want a really nice one that won't run me a thousand bucks. Could anyone give me some ideas please? I don't care about brand just whatever is the best one. What people have had some great experiences with. THANKS!
Old 11-18-03, 09:20 AM
Goz

Can you give some more details on what you want to be able to do with it. Do you just want to keep contacts, appts, and task lists, take occasional notes, etc...or do you want to be able to surf the web, send email, and what not from it?
Are you going to be syncing to another computer - if so, is it running windows, linux, or MAC OS?

Also, what would your price limit be?
I would personally recommend the new Ipaq 4155 - it has built in WiFi and Bluetooth, is very sleek and easy to use, and looks real nice...but it is $450, and may be too much for someone who doesn't need all the extra fancy stuff. There are some lesser ipaq's available as well, and of course Palm has a bunch of kickass PDA's for pretty cheap now as well. The new Dell Axim w/built in WiFi is also quite nice.
Old 11-18-03, 10:07 AM
Cool New Member

It would be syncing with another computer running Windows 2000. I looked at the specifications for the Ipaq 4155 that you have it looks really nice! I love the looks of it. As for price limit, I don't want to spend over 500 dollars if possible. Like I said though I don't know much about PDA's but I want something that don't cost tons of money but will work. I want to be able to send email, keep appointments, and everything else pretty much that you mention. I hope this helps, if not let me know what else you need. Thanks.
Old 11-18-03, 04:34 PM

I think it might help you a lot to visit a PDA website and/or forum. It'll give you a good idea of what users of a particular PDA platform are doing with theirs.

www.pdabuzz.com
www.palminfocenter.com
www.brighthand.com

Other than palminfocenter.com, which targets Palm users, I can't comment on the value of the other two sites. I once frequented them though, and they did address a greater base of PDA users in general.

Also, visit www.handango.com to see what software you might be interested in getting for your PDA.
Old 11-18-03, 06:51 PM
Goz

Check out the sites that iveal mentioned, and also head down to your local BestBuy, CompUsa, or Circuit City and have a look at what is available. Pick them all up, try to do stuff with them (you may have to ask for a stylus as most don't have them on the display). Basically, just mess around with them a bit to get a feel for the differences, especially the PalmOS vs PocketPC differences.

For the money, I think the ipaq 4155 is the best bet, and it packs everything into one package. It will easily sync email, appts, etc with Outlook (there are probably 3rd party apps to sync w/other programs as well).