DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Teach me about wireless! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/328420-teach-me-about-wireless.html)

FlashStash 11-06-03 09:01 AM

Teach me about wireless!
 
OK, so I've got my laptop now, and I've set up my wireless internet connection at home...so now I have two questions.

1. If I go into, say, Starbucks, and want to use their wireless connection, how would I do it? How do you use ANY other wireless connection other than your own? Am I given a sign-in? Where would I enter this information? How do I know when I'm in the presence of a wireless connection?

2. How do I protect myself from people using MY wireless connection at home?

FS

Canis Firebrand 11-06-03 09:03 AM

Re: Teach me about wireless!
 

Originally posted by FlashStash
OK, so I've got my laptop now, and I've set up my wireless internet connection at home...so now I have two questions.

1. If I go into, say, Starbucks, and want to use their wireless connection, how would I do it? How do you use ANY other wireless connection other than your own? Am I given a sign-in? Where would I enter this information? How do I know when I'm in the presence of a wireless connection?

2. How do I protect myself from people using MY wireless connection at home?

FS

For #2, the best route to go is to lock down your wireless access point using encryption.
Is it a router with a built in access point?

I have a dlink router that has a built in access point. For my wireless, I encrypt the connection and on the router side, I lock it down so that only the mac adderss I specify can connect.

For #1, I believe that they have a totally open connection at those places so that if you just boot up your laptop, your wireless card will pick up the connection. I am not 100% certain though, as I haven't tried it yet.

FlashStash 11-06-03 09:20 AM

Re: Re: Teach me about wireless!
 

Originally posted by Vryce
For #2, the best route to go is to lock down your wireless access point using encryption.
Is it a router with a built in access point?

I have a dlink router that has a built in access point. For my wireless, I encrypt the connection and on the router side, I lock it down so that only the mac adderss I specify can connect.


Humina-humina what??? :)

I do have a dlink wireless router, concidentally...the rest you'll have to translate :)

FS

Canis Firebrand 11-06-03 09:55 AM

What model do you have?

I have the Dlink 614+.
But I'm going to be selling that as I just picked up the Dlink wireless/wired router that is the 54g model.

Goz 11-06-03 10:31 AM

For Starbucks and most other chain places w/wireless access, you need to subscribe to whatever service they are using - T-Mobile, Boingo, etc. They usually offer hourly, daily, or monthly rates, but can be somewhat expensive. For a pretty good listing of hotspots, checkout:
http://www.hotspotlist.com/
or http://www.wifinder.com/
They list what service the place uses as well.

To secure your router, enable WEP, and also enable MAC address filtering. Both of these options should be in the setup pages for your router, and help should be provided there on how/what to do.
For more info on securing your wireless network:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm

Alvis 11-06-03 10:37 AM

Actually, the $29.99 for a year's access at any T-mobile Hotspot seems like a pretty good deal, if you can make use of it. The other options are a bit pricey, which I'm sure is the idea.

Or, you could try this. ;)

http://freshmeat.net/projects/airsno...ic_id=44%2C152

http://www.thebroken.org/





Originally posted by Goz
For Starbucks and most other chain places w/wireless access, you need to subscribe to whatever service they are using - T-Mobile, Boingo, etc. They usually offer hourly, daily, or monthly rates, but can be somewhat expensive. For a pretty good listing of hotspots, checkout:
http://www.hotspotlist.com/
or http://www.wifinder.com/
They list what service the place uses as well.

To secure your router, enable WEP, and also enable MAC address filtering. Both of these options should be in the setup pages for your router, and help should be provided there on how/what to do.
For more info on securing your wireless network:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm


FlashStash 11-06-03 11:18 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone!

FS

sfsdfd 11-06-03 11:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Teach me about wireless!
 

Originally posted by FlashStash
Humina-humina what??? :)

I do have a dlink wireless router, concidentally...the rest you'll have to translate :)

Alright, here's the deal.

Every network adapter has a built-in, unique serial number known as a MAC address. You can configure your router to transmit LAN traffic only if it was sent by one of the trusted MAC addresses. That way, if someone drives up to your house with a notebook computer and tries to access your LAN, the MAC address of their wireless network card won't be familiar to the router, which will just throw away all of their network requests. It's a pretty efficient security mechanism.

In order to implement this, you have to tell your router which MAC addresses it should trust. The MAC address is a six-byte number; you'll usually see it written as xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, where each x is a digit from 0-9 or a letter from a-f. You can find out the MAC address of any network adapter by one of a few ways:

1) You may have a utility called WINIPCFG that will show you the MAC address for any adapter. Click Start, click Run, type WINIPCFG, and hit Enter.

2) You can access the network adapters portion of the Network screen in your Control Panel. (This differs per Windows operating system, though, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it on yours.)

3) Every version of Windows has a command-line utility called IPCONFIG. Click Start, click Run, type CMD, and hit Enter to pull up a command prompt. Then type this (omitting the quotes): "ipconfig /all | more" and hit Enter. (That character before "more" is a horizontal bar; it's the shifted character on your backslash key.) You'll see a lot of information about each network adapter; just hit the spacebar to go from one screen to the next. Once you're done, you can type "exit" and hit Enter to get back to Windows.

So just write down the MAC address of the network adapter of each computer on your LAN, and then program them into your router to deny all traffic not coming from one of these network adapters. Pretty simple, really.

- David Stein

FlashStash 11-06-03 01:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Teach me about wireless!
 

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Alright, here's the deal.

.
.
.

Pretty simple, really.

- David Stein

With your directions, I agree! Thanks tremendously!

FS

Dirk 11-06-03 02:53 PM

Note that this isn't a 100% guarantee of security - it's possible to 'spoof' the MAC address of a different card without too much trouble. It does add another layer of protection though.

Barney1234 11-06-03 08:43 PM

Where do I sign up for a years access for 29.99?


Originally posted by Alvis
Actually, the $29.99 for a year's access at any T-mobile Hotspot seems like a pretty good deal, if you can make use of it. The other options are a bit pricey, which I'm sure is the idea.

Or, you could try this. ;)

http://freshmeat.net/projects/airsno...ic_id=44%2C152

http://www.thebroken.org/


candyrocket786 11-06-03 08:58 PM


Originally posted by Barney1234
Where do I sign up for a years access for 29.99?
I believe it's $29.99 a month (requires a 12 month contract).

http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/services_plans.htm


Just a little cheaper than Road Runner.

The service is great but unless you're a Starbucks junky......you'll probably waste your money.

sfsdfd 11-06-03 11:28 PM


Originally posted by Dirk
Note that this isn't a 100% guarantee of security - it's possible to 'spoof' the MAC address of a different card without too much trouble. It does add another layer of protection though.
Yeah, but <i>any</i> security scheme is breakable by a hacker who's sufficiently skilled/dedicated/bored. Hell, even a password scheme (e.g., the one on your terminal services connection) is breakable if someone wants to run a brute-force attack 24/7, and finds a way to do it while avoiding detection.

The trick to security is to make breaking into your system more trouble than it's worth.

Someone who gets into my LAN will be able to steal some MP3s, and <i>maybe</i> my bank account info (but there's almost nothing in there :lol: and I check it daily anyway.) They can trash my system and delete all my files. That's it. Meanwhile, they'll have to get through about four layers of varying security to do it. In short, they can get similar information (or more) from any other machine in my neighborhood - with a whole lot less effort.

- David Stein

Psi 11-06-03 11:48 PM

We'd break in to get your mod password. Who cares about your money? :lol:

sfsdfd 11-07-03 06:41 AM


Originally posted by kuroiinu
We'd break in to get your mod password. Who cares about your money? :lol:
:lol: Yeah, I'm sure you could do terrific damage with a password that lets you moderate... the Reviews Forum.

- David Stein

Alvis 11-07-03 07:46 AM


Originally posted by candyrocket786
I believe it's $29.99 a month (requires a 12 month contract).

http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/services_plans.htm


Just a little cheaper than Road Runner.

The service is great but unless you're a Starbucks junky......you'll probably waste your money.

Sorry, guess I wasn't paying close attention. :o


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.