Reload this Page >

can ISPs block P2P traffic?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-19-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Direct Connect for over a year using small, private, special interest hubs sharing music videos only. It has worked very well, and I configured my firewall properly. All of a sudden, my downloads ALWAYS time out, and I can never make a connection. At first I thought my router IP had changed, but I have tried enough settings that I am reasonably certain that it isn't fixable on my side. It won't work in active or passive mode, and it won't work with NAT set up, or in the DMZ.

Is it possible the ISP is blocking my access? Why would they allow uploads, but not downloads?
Old 10-20-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
well, i don't know about IPs, but i know that my school throttled down the P2P servers (napster/kazaa/who knows what else). the speed of the internet increased dramatically. of course, they didn't throttle the irc connections, so i wasn't complaining

i'd assume that they could set up the upload/download bandwith, but it still doesn't explain why they allow uploads, but not downloads.
Old 10-20-03, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, your ISP could do that. Why down & not up? It's easier to block someone trying to connect to a fixed port on your computer.