Reload this Page >

Cable modem problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cable modem problems

Old 10-11-03, 04:48 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cable modem problems

My cable modem (Motorola Surfboard SB4200) has worked fine over the past several months that I've had it, but for the last two or three days, I have been loosing all connection to the internet. I have to unplug and replug the modem to get it back, and within one to two hours it loses it's connection again. This is royally annoying.

Any opinions on wherther it is likely to be the modem going bad, or if there could be some sort of ISP (Charter) issues causing the problem? I'd hate to have to get a new modem and go through the hassle of re-provisioning my MAC.
Old 10-11-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd call the ISP. Thats the first thing I do if i'm having problems wiht my cable modem... they should be able to tell you if there are any outages or problems in your area.
Old 10-11-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you sure it is the modem? My parents have cable and were having connection problems and it turned out that it was the line outside that had to be replaced.

Just re-read your post, and see you have CHarter, that's the same ISP my parents have

It was a real pain for them to try get someone to their house to check thing, the first repairman did nothing, I was there at the time and clearly explained that the connection would get lost during bad weather, and he blamed it on the computer.

Second guy came three weeks later and said the line outside was pretty bad and had to be replaced and did so, and the internet has been rock solid for them for four months now. They still had to put up with the crap for two months but Charter just recently wrote them a letter saying they apologized for the slow response and said that they upgraded their service from 256kb download to 2MB download at no charge and would stay that way til March.

Last edited by Ranger; 10-11-03 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-11-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you have it laying down or standing up? I had the same problem with my Linksys because I had it laying down and I guess it was overheating. I could feel heat but it really was not that bad, but when I stood it upright using the little stand it was fine.