Reload this Page >

CD-ROM emulators?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

CD-ROM emulators?

Old 10-10-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD-ROM emulators?

Does anyone use one of these programs and what exactly are they used for? Thanks.
Old 10-10-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts
Do you mean software that allows you to copy the contents of a CDROM to a directory on your hardrive, yet fools the program into believing the software is still being read from a CDROM. I beilive the state of the art in this is something called GAMEDRIVE.

http://www.farstone.com/home/en/shtml/gamedovview.shtml
Old 10-10-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about! Is it only for playing games or is there other practical uses for it? Someone gave me a Paragon CD Emulator disc and I was wondering if I should throw it on my machine or not even bother (I don't play games too much on my comp).
Old 10-10-03, 09:11 AM

I use a freeware utility called Daemon Tools.
Old 10-10-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
I used to use Paragon before I trusted my son to handle CDs. It would create a virtual drive letter on the hard drive for each program you installed through it, and woudl run as if the disc were in the drive.
Old 10-10-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very, very useful utilities.

Most people I know use Daemon Tools, Alcohol or the CloneCD Virtual Drive.

CloneCd, for example, supports at least 8 virtual drives. That's nice because what you do is use CloneCD to make an "image" of the physical cd in question and then you can "mount" the image to one of the virtual drives and then go from there.

- convenient because you don't have to keep on swapping cds - you can swap cds through the virtual drives.

- most programs will also emulate the copy protection which makes it very convenient for gamers since your comp will autocheck for the protection and play automatically.

- saves your physical cds from getting damaged.

I use 4 virtual drives right now.

2 for kids games and 2 for my 2 games that I like to play now and again. Leaves my physical cdrom free for whatever.

The only downside to this is that by doing virtual drives you have to create image files that you have to store on your hard drive. Now, hard drive space is cheap nowadays ... but still, 4 virtual roms will take up to 700megsx4=2.8 gigs or so of HDD space. I have gigs and gigs of image files on my HDD.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-03, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Roan
I use a freeware utility called Daemon Tools.
I use this as well.

I had to remove rest of your explanation as it discussed an area we can't discuss here. -X
Old 10-11-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I use Alcohol also. My computer only has one CD drive, and sometimes I want to play Diablo, sometimes HoMM, and it gets old hunting for the disk, swapping it out, waiting for it to load, etc. Those two image files do take up 1.32 GB, but any computer bought in the last 1-2 years should have at least 5-40 GB on it, so the 'average user' should have plenty of room. Convenience and safety--I keep the original disk in a case on a shelf where my son can't get to them.
I've got CloneCD, but I've never used its 'virtual drive' feature. Have to try that.