TV Tuner Card question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

TV Tuner Card question

Old 10-08-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV Tuner Card question

here

I've just got some basic questions for those of you who are TV tuner card literate.

If you click on the link and go to the second image listed - what are the different jacks for?

I imagine the first 2 are for cable, one coming in - another going out if you want to share the connection with another tv or something.

I see there's an S-Video - is this for connecting to the monitor?, or to a seperate tv?

Then there's a blue, green & black. Does your tv tuner card take over as the sound card for the computer? The black is an audio port - to a subwoofer would be my guess. The green, to the speakers, and then there's a blue that I have no idea about.

Am I far off with my assumptions? Thanks.
Old 10-08-03, 12:45 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

The two rf jacks are either for dual tuner or a pass thru, i don't know which without reading the specs.
On my card the SVideo port is in as is the blue headphone jack. The green headphone jack is an out to the in on your soundcard so that you can record the sound. On mine the black one is for the remote control reciever, on yours it looks like another headphone jack.
It should say what each of the jacks are for in the desc.
Ofcourse mine could be completely different from yours.
Old 10-08-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not too sure without reading the specs either, but I would say one of the rf jacks is for radio. At least that's the way my pinnacle card is set up. The s-video slot is probably for video in, but it might be for video out. I would doubt video out because that's more of a video card function. The other slots are for sure sound ports, but I don't know which each is individually. Do you have a link for the actual product?
Old 10-08-03, 01:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

The various jacks on the back of the card are for the FM Antenna, TV Antenna/Cable, S-Video/RCA, Audio In, Audio Out and Remote receiver. The only connections that might be of confusion are the audio ones, while the picture below explains it nicely it should be said that you don't always need something connected to the audio in, most often your TV antenna or cable signal will provide audio in, in which case you will only have to connect the audio out to the audio in on your sound card.

Old 10-08-03, 06:42 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
X,

Wow. Excellent reply. That is by far the best reply I've ever seen here.
Old 10-09-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must concur - that pretty much summed up any questions I could have had.

Already got that second page bookmarked.

Thanks again to all.
Old 10-09-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by namja
X,

Wow. Excellent reply. That is by far the best reply I've ever seen here.
I second that wow!
Old 10-09-03, 10:26 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks guys. Glad I could help!

I just lucked into that info by looking up a review on the card. Surprisingly, it had just what I would expect from a decent review.