Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

XP Firewall question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

XP Firewall question

Old 10-05-03, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XP Firewall question

For the firewall that comes with Windows XP, is there any way to set it so that it doesn't block certain things (i.e. I can't connect to any FTP with it on)?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'settings' button on the advanced tab in network props. should do it...of course I have no knowledge of how to adjust that one because I have a real software firewall which I would highly recommend instead of that half-assed thing Microsoft slapped onto XP:

http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10039884.html
Old 10-06-03, 02:05 AM

Thanks. I didn't even notice the advanced properties tab. Clicking on "FTP server" should work, right? But it doesn't for some reason. Is there anything else I need to click or is there a certain thing I should add?

I have a real firewall too, but I figure it doesn't hurt to have the XP one enabled as well.
Old 10-06-03, 10:51 AM
toq

Actually, the advanced properties tab will allow you to specify which services (or ports) to open. For example, by enabling "FTP server", that would allow remote users to connect to the FTP server on your machine, assuming you're running one.

Your problem on the other hand, I believe, is different since you're the one trying to connect to a remote FTP server. Your firewall is probably blocking an incoming connection from the FTP server that you're connecting to. You'll need to use an FTP client that supports passive mode or enable it on your existing FTP client.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-03, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by toq
You'll need to use an FTP client that supports passive mode or enable it on your existing FTP client.
My FTP client (WS_FTP) DOES support passive code, but that doesn't seem to help.
Old 10-06-03, 01:46 PM
toq

Once you enable passive mode, what happens when you try to connect? Can I assume that you can connect without problems if you disable the XP firewall?
Old 10-06-03, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by toq
Once you enable passive mode, what happens when you try to connect? Can I assume that you can connect without problems if you disable the XP firewall?
Even with passive mode enabled, I still can't connect - and yep, I'm able to connect easily if the XP firewall is disabled.