Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

If your never going anywhere with your laptop is it better to have a wired mouse?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

If your never going anywhere with your laptop is it better to have a wired mouse?

Old 09-24-03, 09:43 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am tired of trying to find the arrow with the touch pad (Dell I-8500 laptop), what's the best I can use for an area of 8.5 inches by 10 inches or if I tape the handles 13 inches long. I am using a solid smooth piece of wood bought from the internet to cover the arms of my chair, not a TV tray that squeezed my balls; to the point I had to go pee a lot more often than I do now.

Please include a URL in your help a member to find his arrow/pointer easier, someday that user could be you.

Last edited by danol; 09-24-03 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most Windows versions, assuming you're using Windows, have a 'mouse visibility' function. Go into Control Panel->Mouse, under Pointer Options, there should be something to 'show pointer when you press the CTRL key' when activated, it will do a little 'target' thing zeroing in on your mouse cursor.
If you want a mouse, which I personally have to have with my laptop, you could get something like this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01059
Old 09-25-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I go everywhere with my notebook, and I still use a wired mouse almost exclusively. My speed and accuracy are about three times as strong with the mouse as with the trackpad.

- David Stein
Old 09-25-03, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
I go everywhere with my notebook, and I still use a wired mouse almost exclusively. My speed and accuracy are about three times as strong with the mouse as with the trackpad.

- David Stein
Ditto. I am the same way with my work laptop - it goes everywhere and travels everywhere. I use an external microsoft optical trackball mouse.
Old 09-25-03, 07:16 AM

Re: If your never going anywhere with your laptop is it better to have a wired mouse?

Originally posted by danol
I am using a solid smooth piece of wood bought from the internet to cover the arms of my chair, not a TV tray that squeezed my balls; to the point I had to go pee a lot more often than I do now.
What in god's name are you talking about? I swear danol, you come up with some of the most off-the-wall comments I've ever heard.
Old 09-25-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peeing. You know, it's when your body rids itself of liquid waste.
Old 09-25-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: If your never going anywhere with your laptop is it better to have a wired mouse?

... not a TV tray that squeezed my balls; to the point I had to go pee a lot more often than I do now.
TMI! TMI!
Old 09-25-03, 10:43 AM
Goz

I use this wired mouse :
http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=PAUM01U
It was about $10 at CompUsa. I just couldn't get used to the touchpad for everyday use, although I use it when I travel and don't feel like getting out the wired mouse to use.
Old 09-25-03, 01:03 PM
Rest in Peace

Tommy Boy

That is because you have 'never' experienced being 'disabled', if you 'had' you wouldn't be talking about it as a one time 'only' occurence!
Old 09-25-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do travel with my laptop, but I use this one...

http://www.kensington.com/images/72116W.jpg

It is a full size mouse, but has a retractable cord. So when traveling, it doesn't get tangled or crimpted.

Even if you don't travel, you might like it. You can set the length of the cord at about any length you want. So if you got a small space you can retract some of the cord and not have it all over the place.
Old 09-26-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
I use an external microsoft optical trackball mouse.
You know, I used a trackball exclusively for about three years - one of the sweet Logitech ones with the huge, red ball that you manipulate with your thumb. I thought it was neat and useful.

Then one day, I sat down at a computer in our library and started using their mouse. "Crap," thought I, "I am so much faster with this dinky $5 mouse than I am with a $70 trackball!"

- David Stein
Old 09-26-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Microsoft makes very good mouse!Even when I travel with my laptop I prefer to have Intelli Mouse Explorer with me.Wireless mouse sucks.Just when you need to use it a lot, there is a power shortage and you have recharge it.
Old 09-26-03, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Tommy Boy

That is because you have 'never' experienced being 'disabled', if you 'had' you wouldn't be talking about it as a one time 'only' occurence!
1. Actually you have no idea if he has ever experienced being disabled.

2. He does not mention your disability or anything about it being "one time."

3. His point was that you threw into a thread about the use of external mice, how the tray squeezes your balls and makes you want to pee, which really has nothing to do with your question.

4. My answer, of course you should be using an external mouse. You might want to consider a small rollerball mouse if the space on your wood is limited. I take a small rollerball mouse with me when I travel and intend on using the laptop for extended periods of work.

5. Please quit assuming that responses are based on your disability, or the lack of other forum users understanding of your disability. If you want to start a thread about your disability, please do so in the Other Forum.
Old 09-26-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Tommy Boy

Originally posted by RandyC
...a small rollerball mouse if the space on your wood is limited.
I find this sentence very funny.
Old 09-26-03, 04:11 PM
Retired

- David Stein

Same here.
Old 09-26-03, 05:57 PM
Rest in Peace

22 inches is the inside demention of my Lane Lounger , TV tray to hold it horizonal on the 26 inch wooden TV tray. Using the TV tray my legs are really squeezed together. I now have a slim wooden board that sits on top of the chairs arms and my legs have room to move, part of that board is where I want to set my mouse. I will then be comfortable in all the long days in the next number of years, and until this chair stops working I will be looking for yet another 'lounger' for my completely busted left ankle. Horizonal and not hurting, sitting in the lounger for computing or DVD watching.

P.S. The computer is a 'silent' world for I have 600+ CD in two Pioneer F-1007 300 Juke box changers, with mostly soundtracks or DVD soundtracks. Music and 2,000 ms of 'reverberation' and 100 times the 'depth' of any known Dolby Decoder even in year 2003, to listen thru Denon AHD-750 PQ 'headphones'; rather than be a target of the RIAA!

Last edited by danol; 09-27-03 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-27-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know, I used a trackball exclusively for about three years - one of the sweet Logitech ones with the huge, red ball that you manipulate with your thumb. I thought it was neat and useful.

Then one day, I sat down at a computer in our library and started using their mouse. "Crap," thought I, "I am so much faster with this dinky $5 mouse than I am with a $70 trackball!"

- David Stein
Not me, I'm way faster with the trackball and it doesn't give me wrist pains either.
Old 09-27-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
Not me, I'm way faster with the trackball and it doesn't give me wrist pains either.
Same here. I use Kensington Expert Mouse (trackballs) at both work and home--and I wouldn't trade them for anything. For me, they're faster than mice, more comfortable (again, no wrist pain), and more programmable.
Old 09-29-03, 12:33 AM
Rest in Peace

BTW Where does Mickey plug in?

Where on my Dell I-8500 do I plug the mouse in USB? I only have one more USB to plug into as my Canon Printer is using one of the two available slots?
Old 09-29-03, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

- David Stein
I found out the same thing, then I replaced the Logitech thumb trackball with a finger trackball and it was the best. I just could not roll the ball accurately and efficiently with my thumb.
Old 09-29-03, 11:59 AM
Rest in Peace

I still don't know how the mouse plugs in, chime in if you know where it goes.
Old 09-29-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still don't know how the mouse plugs in, chime in if you know where it goes.
If it's a USB mouse, plug it into a USB port. If it's a PS/2 mouse, plug it into a PS/2 port. On your 8500 just look for a plug the same shape/size/icon as is on your mouse.
Old 09-29-03, 04:06 PM
Rest in Peace

Dan

My Dell I-8500 only has 2 USB one of them is for my printer, if I use this last one I won't be able to connect anymore USB devices. Any 2 to one jacks for USB out there, if not then when I connect the mouse I will be out of USB ports! thank you
Old 09-29-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What you want is a USB hub. Plug a bunch of USB devices into the USB hub, then plug the hub into the computer. Check here.

(No, I don't have this one. It just came up in a Google for "USB hub.")
Old 09-29-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or you can also use USB>PS/2 adapter. It usually comes with most USB mice yes? Well at least mine did anyway.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.