DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Get a DVD burner now or wait for 8x speed? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/316941-get-dvd-burner-now-wait-8x-speed.html)

karnblack 09-10-03 02:24 PM

Get a DVD burner now or wait for 8x speed?

I know that Plextor has an 8x DVD+R burner currently in production, but when are the 8x DVD-R burners going to come out? Should I get a 4x now or wait for the 8x?

The reason I ask is I remember getting a 16x CD burner for $200 (which seemed like an excellent deal at the time) then soon after it seemed like they quickly ramped up the speed and had $100 52x burners not long thereafter.

It seems like you can get the dual format 4x DVD burners now for less than $150 so I am very tempted to purchase one. I just don't want to get burned.

X 09-10-03 02:41 PM

I'd get a 4x. You can find deals around $100 for single-standard burners.

The 8x media will be so expensive that you'll probably only buy up to 4x media for the next year anyway.

karnblack 09-10-03 03:41 PM

That makes sense. I'll probably end up getting a dual format drive. Thanks.

Darren Garrison 09-10-03 03:49 PM

I bought a 4x dual-format burner for $200 a few weeks back. A faster drive can wait.

breaux124 09-10-03 04:16 PM

Get a 4x dual format drive (now under $175), then you don't have to worry about which media type is on sale during the week. Prices will drop, but how much?

That's the thing about technology, by the time its affordable it's not that desireable anymore. :D

Darren Garrison 09-10-03 10:35 PM

Having a dual-format drive has had an additional benifit for me-- buying blanks cheap off of Ebay from people with single-format drives who bought the wrong discs. :-) I just this week snagged 9 DVD-Rs for $8.00 and 29 Verbatim DVD-Rs for $25.99, both from people who made that mistake.

X 09-11-03 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Having a dual-format drive has had an additional benifit for me-- buying blanks cheap off of Ebay from people with single-format drives who bought the wrong discs.
I like that!

I also sorta wish I had a dual one because I run into sales of +R and -R discs where it's 2 for 1 and you can only get one of each type. If I could use both types the total cost would also allow me to use a $10 or $15 off $50 coupon too.

karnblack 09-11-03 01:17 PM

I'm looking at the Pioneer DVR-106BK dual DVD burner. It's currently $165 at Mwave.

Someone in another thread said that you might not be able to upgrade the firmware in an OEM version of a drive. Is that true? I don't want to spend an extra $50 for retail packaging if I don't have to.

X 09-11-03 01:22 PM

Originally posted by karnblack
Someone in another thread said that you might not be able to upgrade the firmware in an OEM version of a drive. Is that true? I don't want to spend an extra $50 for retail packaging if I don't have to.
I do it all the time and have never had that problem.

However you might need to use a different flashing program that the manufacturer's because it may look for the brand in the firmware. Once you flash it, it looks just like the retail drive.

karnblack 09-11-03 01:29 PM

Cool. I'll probably pick up the Pioneer this weekend.

X 09-11-03 01:36 PM

I upgraded a Cendyne Pioneer DVR-105 with superior-to-Pioneer modded firmware that still made it look like a Pioneer.

breaux124 09-11-03 04:28 PM

LiveWarehouse has the Pioneer OEM DVR-106 for $163 with free shipping. Seems like a good deal?

karnblack 09-11-03 04:45 PM

Originally posted by breaux124
LiveWarehouse has the Pioneer OEM DVR-106 for $163 with free shipping. Seems like a good deal?
I want the one with the black bezel and it seems LiveWarehouse sells that one for $167. Plus I can go pick up my burner tomorrow at Mwave's will call window if I order it by noon tomorrow. :D

danol 09-11-03 10:42 PM

8X Recorder by Ricoh, read on

www.dvd-makers.com/public/851.cfm

karnblack 09-12-03 11:13 AM

Re: 8X Recorder by Ricoh, read on

Originally posted by danol
www.dvd-makers.com/public/851.cfm
Thanks for the link.

The Plextor 8x is available now here but it costs $100 more than a 4x, plus the 8x media will probably be prohibitavely expensive if I could find any at all.

I'll get a 4x now and maybe this time next year they'll have a 16x or better.

danol 09-12-03 03:23 PM

Re: Re: 8X Recorder by Ricoh, read on

Originally posted by karnblack
Thanks for the link.

The Plextor 8x is available now here but it costs $100 more than a 4x, plus the 8x media will probably be prohibitavely expensive if I could find any at all.

I'll get a 4x now and maybe this time next year they'll have a 16x or better.

Possibly more GLTY and your welcome. :)

X 09-13-03 04:11 PM

Interesting...

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1864

It says most 4x DVD+R will be able to handle 8x. So the thing to consider is whether saving about 5 or 6 minutes per DVD is worth the extra cost of the burner. The Plextor still doesn't look like the perfect burner though.

karnblack 09-13-03 11:19 PM

I picked up my burner today along with a WD 120GB SE hard drive (my c drive failed). I've just finished installing Windows and I'm configuring and installing everything. Hopefully I'll get to play with my burner tonight. It came with Nero OEM suite and Power DVD 5.

Which DVD player is better, Power DVD or WinDVD 5.1 (which came with my video card)?

X 09-13-03 11:23 PM

I think PowerDVD is better on the computer and WinDVD is better on a big screen.

karnblack 09-13-03 11:30 PM

Thank you. It looks like PowerDVD for now since my PC isn't a HTPC yet.

karnblack 09-14-03 02:11 PM

I burned my first DVD-R last night. Woo hoo! I used a cheap generic DVD-R ($25 for a pack of 25) and it worked like a charm. It brings back memories of when I had a 4x CD burner.

Now I have to do some research on media aka looking at all of the previous posts on the topic.

Sloth911 09-14-03 06:41 PM

any reason not to buy this burner?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...efer=pricescan

NEC DVD +/- RW 4x DVD Recordable Drive Model ND-1300A/GEN - OEM
Specifications:
Speeds:
DVD Write Speeds: 4x DVD +/- R writing; 2.4x DVD+R, 2x DVD-RW writing;
CDRW Write Speeds: 16X CLV CD-R, 10X CD-RW
DVD/CD Read Speeds 8-12x speed DVD-ROM reading; 17-40x speed CD-ROM reading capabilities
Buffer: 2MB
Interface: ATAPI EIDE

karnblack 09-14-03 06:59 PM

I've heard good things about both the NEC and the Pioneer, but I prefer Pioneer so that's what I ended up getting.

It looks like the black version of that model is $5 cheaper.

ydkjman 09-15-03 02:10 PM

Or how about this one for $138.00

http://ydkjman.com/OP-DD0203.jpg

http://www.pcsupplysource.com/itemde...D0203&cc=&tpc=

And use this

coupon code: dddada to make it $133.50 with free shipping.

I own this one and I have burnt about 80 DVDs so far with it and it is working like a charm.

karnblack 09-15-03 05:10 PM

I was looking at that one too, but I ended up going with the Pioneer.

Here are the brands of dual format DVD recorders I was looking at:

Pioneer
Sony
NEC
Optorite
Lite On
Plextor
TDK

I then narrowed down my choices to:

Pioneer
Sony
Optorite

And I ended up going with the Pioneer because it was cheaper than the Sony, and the price difference was worth the name brand (to me) over the Optorite. I heard good and bad things about the Optorite and the Sony but I only heard good things about the Pioneer, and that was also one of the considerations in my decision.