Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Widescreen monitors -- how do they work?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-10-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

What do you guys think of widescreen displays?

I'm thinking about buying a laptop with a widescreen LCD (the Dell Inspiron 8600 to be exact). I imagine widescreen laptops are great for watching movies, but how does the widescreen affect normal applications, especially games? Do they simply run in a 4x3 window, or does the graphics card stretch out the programs?Does the stretching cause some sort of performance hit?

Last edited by funkyryno; 09-10-03 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-10-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The video chipsets are optimized to stretch 4x3 games. They end up looking surprisingly good stretched out. Depending on the laptop model, you may be able to switch between stretched mode and regular + borders.

Windows applications will just maximize and fit the wider screen, letting you see two pages side by side in Word, or two full-width web pages, etc.

I love my widescreen display, and it's always a little disappointing to return to a 4x3 moniot.r
Old 09-10-03, 05:23 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I-8500 owner

I own a Dell I-8500 and watch wide screen movies on the 15.4Diaginol same as I-8600, you get 13 inches across and 8.125 inches of height. I-8500 and I-8600 both have headphone jacks if you want to wach some movie quietly. 2.35:1 Anamorpic will be bit less than the full screen meaurements I gave you, and 2.35:1 LBX will be much smaller. I have my AC adapter plugged in at all times and I am on broadband using an outside modem. I am using the SXVGA+ 1680 X 1550 upgrade from vga, compliments of Dell including a CD burner and DVD-ROM drive, 40 GHz HD and 512 RAM and free shipping via Fed-Ex. I also got my $350 Rebate and am waiting on my $75 rebate from my ISP for subscribing to broadband. BTW this laptop is heavy, of course I am disabled and can't walk with it, it might be lighter while carrying it while walking. I hope this helps