Reload this Page >

Just got a new cable modem, question?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-20-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my original cable modem got fried last week during a storm, at least I hope that's the problem. And I currently have two pc's networked, so my question is, do I need to un-install the old software/drivers from the original cable modem, or will the new software that came with the modem do it all for me? I guess I have the same question regarding the router too. Hope that made sense. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-03, 08:56 PM

If you have an ethernet connection to the cable then you should need no software installed from your cable company or modem provider.
Old 08-20-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
If you have it set up
Computer -> Router -> cable modem -> Wall
Computer 2 the same

You shouldn't need to do anything special.
To be safe, unplug everything for about five minutes; hook everything up like above; turn them on Modem, Router, then Computers, with a minute or so between them. You may need to release your IP addresses on the computers, but that may not even be necessary. Depending on what OS you have, it should recognize it and be good to go, especially if your computers haven't changed.
Old 08-21-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, it was the exact same kind of modem I had before, just a newer version. The PC's recognized everything just like before, but I had to call Insight Communications (my cable provider), to register my new mac address on the modem. I didn't realize they needed that, but once she explained it to me, it made sense.

However, I think my router may have also been affected by the storm. It's a Linksys router/4 port switch/ethernet. I probably paid about $60 for it. I honestly don't remember. Do those routers go bad pretty quick? I've had it less than a year. Kind of off topic, but I really appreciate all the help.
Old 08-21-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Weird...It might have gotten shocked by a power surge or something....I've got a DLink [mine] that worked great for over a year, then replaced it with a work-supplied Linksys [so I can log in to our internet tunnel]. But no problems, once I realized there was a typo in the DLink's instruction manual that had me typing the wrong IP address ; )
The Linksys took absolutely nothing to set up. Unplug all, hook up, plug in each piece giving each one about 3-5 minutes to 'recognize' the new info. Good to go.
Even if yours is shot [does it have a warranty?] for sixty bucks and about a year, my ISP charges I think ten bucks/month for add'l IP, so I think they're very worth it. Plus nothing like playing Diablo II on a lan
Old 08-22-03, 07:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
However, I think my router may have also been affected by the storm. It's a Linksys router/4 port switch/ethernet. I probably paid about $60 for it. I honestly don't remember. Do those routers go bad pretty quick?
I don't know if they go "bad pretty quick", but I do know that when my cable modem got knocked out by a storm a few weeks back, my Linksys Router went too.