Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need Help: IE uses up all of systems resources...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-20-03, 07:37 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Win XP Pro
IE 6 with SP1
320MB RAM, 700 MHz processor

Recently, I noticed that when I open up more than one window of IE, my CPU utilization is at about 80 to 90%. The only way to clear to something reasonable is to shut down just the IE windows and restart IE...then its back down to about 7% on average. I noticed that its fine with just one IE window but as soon as I open up another, the utilization jumps up. Nothing has changed on the system in the past couple of weeks that I have done. I've run Spybot, Ad-Aware, Virus checking, defrag, and Regfix....still the same.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-20-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

are u running kazaa or morpheus at the same time?
Old 07-20-03, 08:40 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
are u running kazaa or morpheus at the same time?
Then only things running in the sys tray are McAfee Virusscan, Pop-up Blocker, my USB scanner driver software, and my connection. No Kazaa or Morpheus.

Right now, I'm on my 400Mhz, 128MB RAM laptop and its performing much better than my desktop that has the problems. Again, I'm convinced that its IE since I noticed the spike in utilization but I'm open to any other suggestions or ways to help identify what may be the culprit if not IE.
Old 07-20-03, 11:15 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lemme ask ya this:

1. if you have a scroll wheel, does it seem to be "sluggish" or "delayed" when you scroll some long pages?

2. on some (most?) pages, is there a "delay" or "lag" when you try to highlight text or input text into boxes?

we'll go from there...

--HN
Old 07-21-03, 02:43 AM

Alternatively, you could try the Opera web browser. I've been using it for months and I love it. The built-in pop-up blocker alone is worth the download. It's also noticibly faster than IE (at least on dialup) and also has a built-in e-mail client. If all else fails, it's worth a try.
Old 07-21-03, 04:17 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by HN
Lemme ask ya this:

1. if you have a scroll wheel, does it seem to be "sluggish" or "delayed" when you scroll some long pages?

2. on some (most?) pages, is there a "delay" or "lag" when you try to highlight text or input text into boxes?

THAT's IT EXACTLY!!! It seems like it just started a week or so back! Although I use the elevators instead of the scroll wheel, I did have a scroll wheel on a previous mouse, but that was changed out about 2 months back.

Rehevkor,
thanks for the advice on alt. browsers...I will look into Opera and a couple of others that I was suggested. First however, I would like to resolve this issue, just to make sure that its not a bigger problem than just IE. Thanks.

Last edited by ngp; 07-21-03 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-21-03, 12:54 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ngp
THAT's IT EXACTLY!!! It seems like it just started a week or so back! Although I use the elevators instead of the scroll wheel, I did have a scroll wheel on a previous mouse, but that was changed out about 2 months back.

Well, well, well....let's just see if this little fix doesn't work, eh?

Click Tools -->Internet Options-->Accessibility
Look at "Format documents using my style sheet"
See if this is checked, and if so, note the path of the *.css file that it is pointing to. Now uncheck the option.
Click Ok twice
Now go to the c:\Windows directory (or wherever the *.css file was located) and delete that *.css that was noted earlier.

Reboot and enjoy!

--Haison
Old 07-22-03, 01:24 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you very much HN!!!!!! That did the trick!!!!
Sorry to take so long to get back to you on that...my DVD Talk account was locked up for some reason!

Thanks again!!!!
Old 07-22-03, 08:56 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ngp
Thank you very much HN!!!!!! That did the trick!!!!
Sorry to take so long to get back to you on that...my DVD Talk account was locked up for some reason!

Thanks again!!!!
It took me the better part of 4 nights of research to find the solution to that. Apparently, all those antivirus programs, spyware detectors and cleaners all miss this one file .css file. Glad I could help. Hopefully help others as well.

--HN
Old 07-22-03, 09:21 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by HN
It took me the better part of 4 nights of research to find the solution to that. Apparently, all those antivirus programs, spyware detectors and cleaners all miss this one file .css file. Glad I could help. Hopefully help others as well.

--HN
This is why I love this forum, I've never been disappointed with the advice, tips, solutions, and much other help! Thanks again!
Old 10-06-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally posted by HN

See if this is checked, and if so, note the path of the *.css file that it is pointing to. Now uncheck the option.
Click Ok twice
Now go to the c:\Windows directory (or wherever the *.css file was located) and delete that *.css that was noted earlier.

Reboot and enjoy!

--Haison
I realize this is an old thread, but I just want to say how much I love this place. My browser started doing this same crap, spybot and adaware weren't cutting it. I came here, found this, and voila! It works. Thanks!
Old 10-07-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by HN

Click Ok twice

Reboot and enjoy!

--Haison
Good stuff.

I had something similar to this but I ended up find the answer over at Anandtech.

Had a .avi file that I couldn't delete and it would lock up my ie with 100% utilization. Somebody mentioned that sometimes hackers like to piss people off by making files hard to delete and such. Anyways, managed to delete that stupid file and everything was fine after that.