Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with 200 gb hard drive

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-17-03, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read everywhere on this forum and I still can't make my system accept more then a 137 gb hard drive. My drive came with the pci card which is supposed to make this possible but it is not helping at all. I read a post about updating the registry to enable large disk support but when I run regedit the file the post said to look for was not there. If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You

My system consists of

WIN XP Pro
P4 2.4ghz 800 mhz fsb
512 mb ddr ram
200 gb hard drive with 8mb cache for some reason I have drawn a blank on the manufacturer it is either a western digital or a maxtor.
Geforce FX 5200 video card
Old 07-17-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you have XP service pack 1 installed?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;303013
Old 07-17-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's not the SP pack, you need to update the drivers on the PCI controler card you are running the HD off..

I just installed a 160 gig drive into my cpu.. same issue, was seen as a 137 gig drive.. Updated the MB bios and same issue.. Then I just went into device manager and updated drivers for the PCI control card and pointed it to the ATA drivers on the floppy that came with the HD.. Worked fine after that, system saw the whole 160 gigs..

I am running a 2.2 on an Intel 850 board and win XP pro with no service packs of any sort..

Good luck...
Old 07-18-03, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, last time I checked it was the Mass Storage Driver for your pci IDE card to enable support. Should be on your HDD driver disk or you can download it from the HDD website.
Old 07-18-03, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Yep this is why I am taking my 160GB back and getting a 120GB instead. I don't need this ****!!
Old 07-18-03, 11:05 PM

Thank You. I do have service pack 1. I will try these other suggestions thank you.