Reload this Page >

cable modem problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

cable modem problem

Old 07-07-03, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cable modem problem

i'm running win98,
i had comcast install high speed cable all worked fine for a couple of days, then one morning could not get connected,
i cannot get cable motorola sb5000 surfboard moden to work, every time i try to install i keep getting a unable to install error check cables, it seems to install the drivers and so on, i do get an unknown device in the device mgr, under systems, if i reboot the computer and plug in the usb cable from the modem it does'nt reconize the new hardware, i've tried other usb hardware and all others seem to be reconized.

the cable is working as my son is playing online w/ps2 thats connected from modem directly to the ps2.

i've call comcast who could not get it to work and they told me to call compaq which were of no help unless you pay them.

could the modem be bad, should i plug in a known good modem and see what happens?

Last edited by psxfan2; 07-07-03 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-07-03, 09:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: cable modem problem

Originally posted by psxfan2
could the modem be bad, should i plug in a known good modem and see what happens?
That sounds like a good (and easy) thing to try. If it works with another modem, then the one you have may have a problem.

BTW, does this modem have a "reset" button on it somewhere? If so, it couldn't hurt trying that first.
Old 07-07-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend that you stop using the USB connection if possible, because it just needlessly complicates things. Using a patch cable from the modem to a NIC card makes things a lot easier.

Try unplugging the power to your modem for about 10 mins, this allows it to reset at Comcast.

Then, click start, run, type "winipcfg". When the program loads, hit release all, then renew all. Plug the power back in and try again.
Old 07-07-03, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Brain Stew
I would recommend that you stop using the USB connection if possible, because it just needlessly complicates things. Using a patch cable from the modem to a NIC card makes things a lot easier.

Try unplugging the power to your modem for about 10 mins, this allows it to reset at Comcast.

Then, click start, run, type "winipcfg". When the program loads, hit release all, then renew all. Plug the power back in and try again.
I completely agree. Not using the USB connection helps reduce multiple problems.

1. You don't need drivers to use the network cable.
2. USB is flakey depending on drivers, hardware, OS, etc
3. USB uses system resources
4. USB is not able to support 100MB. For surfing this is fine, but for a network this drags it down.

If you computer doesn't already have a network card, you should be able to buy one for $20 or less.
Old 07-08-03, 01:34 PM

I know the RCA modems are crap.
Old 07-08-03, 04:45 PM

I also recommend not going USB.

When I got Roadrunner installed over 2 years ago I requested they install a NIC card. The lazy asses told me that the 3Com USB network interface would be better than the NIC card. Needless to say after numerous speed tests, I was showing less than 100k DL speed. I called Time Warner and the office manager and I tried the same speed tests (he had a NIC card) and afterwards he had another installer at my house at 8am to install my NIC card.

My speeds went from 100k to 3.2M on the same speed tests.

A friend of mine had the same trouble as you when he connected his Toshiba 1100U, by USB. It's alot better since he connected it to his NIC card.
Old 07-09-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jason1973
I know the RCA modems are crap.
That's what I have and you are right it's crap.
Old 07-10-03, 09:48 PM

well i finally took the modem back to try another, and sure enough it was the modem that was bad.
thanks for the help all!