Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

everything you know about a palm (aka i am clueless and need to buy one)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-04-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so come share some knowledge. i remember when i was first buying a vd player, there was a great thread that explained things in the simplest of forms and listed the pros and cons of each popular device as well as what to look for. that thread really helped me make my decision and i was hoping there was one for palms but no luck .

basically, i am buying this for working in the hospital. i literally know NOTHING about them (or even how to work them) and have minimal fluency in computer jargon so please over simplify thing for me i know i will need at least 8 megs of memory since there are several applications i will need to download. i also will be buying one of those nifty little folding keyboards, too but i think those work with all palms, if i am not mistaken...

outside of that, i have no other specifications/qualifications needed. i dont really need it to play music or games or movies, take pictures, etc. size is of some importance but weight is more important since it will either be attached to my belt or in my jacket pocket. and yes, i need to be able to hook it up to my computer (i think they all do that, right???) to transfer files back and forth. i anticipate typing a lot of notes or jotting things down at the hospital and wanting to finish them on my pc back here.

anyway, here are the ones i have looked at but i cant really figure out what in the heck they really do or what makes them so nifty. also, if you can think of a store off the top of your head that sells them for cheap (currently looking on ebay but i would prefer to buy one from a store so i could return it if there were problems). i saw a link to return buys in another thread about palms--any other ones?
listed: tungsten T
sony clio
zire 71
m130
m515
i705
there are a few older/discontinued models out there--how risky is that to buy them? so far, the one i like the best is the m515 jsut because it is pretty (yes, i know that is pathetic, but i'm still a girl!!!) thanks you guys in advance for all the help and info!
Old 07-04-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts
I had an m130 for awhile last year.

I got it from Amazon with a free 32 MB Secure Digital card and a $25 GC to boot (currently they can be found for $150-$215, I sold mine for $185 on eBay).

I really liked the color and the flip over plastic guard. The screen was bright enough to use during the day, and the backlighting is great for night use. My wife used to played Bejewel for hours on end when she couldn't sleep. The only reason I sold it was that my work had purchased a PocketPC Toshiba e740 for me.

It also has a SD card slot in the side for memory expansion/storage. The USB connection is great, and I got a USB link/charger cable from eBay for cheap, and I just kept that in the PC laptop case.

Overall I really liked my m130. I only had it for about 5 mos, but I thought it was great!

I originally use bought it for work. We could swap notes and appointments. I used it for the games, a calendar for my appointments, kept my contacts on it. I even had books and the bible stored on the SD card to use for during church meetings and services.

It even had a little sketch program that I designed on and I could hook it up to my Mac and download the sketches and print them out.

That's basically what I used mine for. I never liked planners, but this helped me break that.

Plus, I've heard alot of good things about the Zire series... you might want to consider that one too.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-04-03 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: everything you know about a palm (aka i am clueless and need to buy one)

Originally posted by krkuhl
basically, i am buying this for working in the hospital. i literally know NOTHING about them (or even how to work them) and have minimal fluency in computer jargon so please over simplify thing for me i know i will need at least 8 megs of memory since there are several applications i will need to download.
What applications are you thinking of? At any rate, just about any new Palm (or Palm compatible like the Sony Clie) will have 8 MB of memory.

i also will be buying one of those nifty little folding keyboards, too but i think those work with all palms, if i am not mistaken...
Those keyboards are model-specific, but you should be able to get one for just about any Palm model. Not sure about the Clies.

size is of some importance but weight is more important since it will either be attached to my belt or in my jacket pocket.
You should try to get to a store where you can compare models by size/weight.

and yes, i need to be able to hook it up to my computer (i think they all do that, right???) to transfer files back and forth. i anticipate typing a lot of notes or jotting things down at the hospital and wanting to finish them on my pc back here.
They all synch to a PC. USB is typical, but some use Serial. This is a consideration if your PC only has one or the other available.

anyway, here are the ones i have looked at but i cant really figure out what in the heck they really do or what makes them so nifty.
For most people, the core (built-in) applications take care of 99% of your needs: Memo Pad, To Do List, Date Book, Address Book. Any Palm will do this stuff. After that, you need to decide if you want/need color, if you need an expansion slot (for extra memory storage), or any of the other model-specific features that are out there.

Here's a nice comparison of features on the Palm site.

also, if you can think of a store off the top of your head that sells them for cheap (currently looking on ebay but i would prefer to buy one from a store so i could return it if there were problems). i saw a link to return buys in another thread about palms--any other ones?
I bought my current Palm (a "lowly" Vx) from Returnbuy. They sell refurb stuff with no manuals/cds. This may or may not be an issue for someone buying her first handheld. You can get the desktop software and manual at Palm.com, but you might be better off having a nice retail package that includes actual printed stuff you could check out as you start to use your handheld. Amazon, of course, sells handhelds. As far as cheap stores go, make sure you check www.resellerratings.com when/if you find a significantly cheaper price on something you want. In general, I'd recommend sticking with the bigger companies, if for no other reason than the way they are set up to handle problems and returns.

listed: tungsten T
sony clio
zire 71
m130
m515
i705
there are a few older/discontinued models out there--how risky is that to buy them? so far, the one i like the best is the m515 jsut because it is pretty...
Buy whatever makes you happy.

There are so many older models out there, it'd be easier for you to mention what you're looking at and have us comment on those models specifically.

Some other stuff for you to check out:

Hot deal on the Zire 71 at Amazon

Brighthand Palm Forums
Old 07-04-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Other Palm software I'd recommend:

* AvantGo (offline web browsing)

* Handyshopper (to do/to buy database)

* Tender (Checkbook balancing)
Old 07-04-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the input so far guys! i found a few websites that did a decent job explaining things. i wouldnt use my palm (or i am not planning on it but i am sure i will find out how useful it is!) for dates, schedule, appts, etc. the programs i will be loading onto it are epocrates, medcalc, harrisons, 5 minute medical consult, and maybe a few more. basically, what i need is something that i can use in the hospital to look up drugs, diseases, etc. which will all be in the programs i will add later on.

i think i have narrowed it down to the m515 or the tungsten T
i have found a refurbished m515 for 179 at overstock.com and a tungsten t for $200 (i forgot where). should i go for it???? the cheapest price otherwise is $248 including shipping. most places sell them for $300. i am a bit leery about buying refurbished from a non dealer (palm's site has refurbished m515 for $200 plus 15 bucks shipping, i think but i would rather get full warranty and such and a guarantee it is perfect for another 30 bucks). any advice?
Old 07-04-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i think i have narrowed it down to the m515 or the tungsten T
i have found a refurbished m515 for 179 at overstock.com and a tungsten t for $200 (i forgot where). should i go for it???? the cheapest price otherwise is $248 including shipping. most places sell them for $300. i am a bit leery about buying refurbished from a non dealer (palm's site has refurbished m515 for $200 plus 15 bucks shipping, i think but i would rather get full warranty and such and a guarantee it is perfect for another 30 bucks). any advice?
I was going to say, "Why buy the Tungsten T over the M515 if you don't need Bluetooth?" Then I went to the comparison link I mentioned above, and noticed other advantages:

* 320x320 resolution (again, you should try to compare in person to see if you care enough about the difference between the Tungsten T's 320x320 and the M515's 160x160)

* Voice memo recorder

* 16MB (vs 8MB for the 515)

Disadvantages:

* Graffiti 2 -- they only changed this because of a lawsuit from Xerox. Grafitti 1 is easier to use, but if you're new to both, it probably won't make too much of a big deal. Again, trying both out in person will help you out.

*Weighs 1/2 pound more.

* The flip-up design. Some like it, some don't. Perhaps now would be a good time for me to suggest that you compare these models in person.

* Price. ~$50 more. Some would pay that for the increased resolution alone. Same for the memory. But again, it's a personal decision.
Old 07-04-03, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I did have a Palm, but I never grew to like Grafitti much, and I decided I just like color screens.

So I got the Handspring Treo 90. Because it has a built in keyboard, color screen, it runs Palm OS, and it's cheap ($149).

https://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=972998

Not the greatest, but good enough as an organizer.
Old 07-04-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does it have to be a PALM OS machine?

If not, I highly suggest the Dell Axim X5

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/produc...xim5_entry.htm
Old 07-04-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are buying this for use in a hospital go with a Palm. There is a lot of medical software available and you don't want a Pocket PC. Either the battery will crap out half way through your day or the thing will crash on you when you need it most.

The Tungsten T would be my suggestion based on what you are looking for. I have a Sony Clie NX60, but that is probably a bit more than you need. The Tungsten T is pretty affordable now and its OS 5.