Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What are these files?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What are these files?

Old 07-01-03, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are these files?

I am trying to free up some space on my hd - running win2k. What are these files, and can I delete them?

1) a directory called RECYCLER

2) a directory called NetMeeting

3) the directory c:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 has 21 directories under it, all with cryptic names (MNCV89MW, etc). They seem to have the same entries in each of the directories. Why, and can I delete all but one of them?

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-01-03, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) Files you have deleted are stored here first until it is emptied. To empty it right click on the "recycle bin" and select that option

2) It's a program sharing program (virtual conference room kind of thing) that can be removed if you don't use it. Do it through the Add/Remove Program control panel though

3) Temporary files related to browsing the net, they can usually be deleted w/o problem.

The easiest thing to do when trying to clean up though is right click on the disk icon, select properties and some where on the general info screen (w/ the disk graphic showing how much free space you have) there should be a "Cleanup..." button (or something like that).
Old 07-01-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) Recycle bin. Just empty it out the normal way.

2) Microsoft Netmeeting. Comes with Windows. On Windows NT you could remove it in Add/Remove Programs. Not sure if it's that easy in Win2k.

3) Empty this by going to Internet Options in Internet Explorer. Hit the button that says "Delete temporary internet files".