Reload this Page >

Weird Windoews XP Desktop problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Weird Windoews XP Desktop problem

Old 06-28-03, 11:41 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird Windows XP Desktop problem

I tried to change my desktop picture, and now I can't get any pictures or patterns to show at all. All I can get is solid colors, which I can change in the drop down.

The damn desktop changing window will show the various backgrounds when I change them, but when I click apply and ok, the desktop itself just remains the same solid color.

It started when I right clicked and used the "set as background" command in IE at the official LOTR site in their desktops section.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-28-03 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-29-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
try rightclicking on your desktop and turning active desktop off
Old 06-29-03, 09:32 PM
Retired

I don't get any active desktop options when I right click, nor are any in the windows under properties.
Old 06-30-03, 08:59 PM
Retired

I just used system restore to the last check point before the problem started and it's fine now. LOTR desktop and all others appear.

Don't know what the hell the problem was.
Old 07-01-03, 02:14 PM
Retired

Dammit.

When I turned on the computer today, it's back to the solid colors and won't let me switch. F'n Microsoft.

I'll try a system restore again sometime when I have time and not use the LOTR desktop, it must be screwing up somethign somehow, though I have no idea how.
Old 07-01-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Display Properties>Desktop tab>Customize Desktop button>Web tab. Is anything checked in the web pages window? Just considering the possiblility that the desktop was set to be a live webpage and if you're offline, it might come up as nothing. Also, check to see if the "Lock desktop items" line is checked on that page too. That's probably what's keeping you from changing anything.
Old 07-01-03, 10:10 PM
Retired

No web things clicked and it's not locked.

I can change the color, but the pictures won't stick. I'm going to try deleting the LOTR desktop, doing the system restore again and seeing if I can get my old desktop to stay up.
Old 07-01-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Are the pctures bitmaps or jpegs? Jpegs only can be shown when active desktop is enabled? No? Try saving the pic as a bitmap.
Old 07-02-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had this happen before also. What I did was Right Click>properties>monitor> and then change the resolution to 800 x 600 or something. Then change it back. Then try and change the background again (to something in windows that is standard as in came with the system) See if that helps.

While adjusting resolution, you may also want to screw with the Refresh rate under advanced settings. Dont know why it works for me, but it does.
Old 07-02-03, 04:44 PM
Retired

It's a laptop so I can't change the resolution.

As for the format, I'm not sure about the LOTR desktop I downloaded, but regardless, that wouldn't explain why the one. I had previously (just one that came with XP) won't show up now.

I'll play around with it some when I get home tonight and see if I can figure anything out.
Old 07-02-03, 09:41 PM
Retired

I did the system restore again and got my old desktop back up.

I've restarted it once and it's still up.

Apparently my system just doesn't like the LOTR pick and setting it ****s up something somewhere. Beats me, I've never seen anything like it.

I mentioned it to the tech guy at work who was fixing my crappy computer there and he'd never heard of anything like it either. Just a weird MS glitch I guess.
Old 07-03-03, 02:04 PM
Retired

Old desktop is still there today.

I'm thinking it might be and IE problem as I had set the LOTR desktop as the IE Desktop using the right-click "save as desktop function."

It would make more sense for their to be some glitch with that screwing up settings that the setting getting all screwed up simply because of the picture itself.