Reload this Page >

New Burner Not Recognized

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-21-03, 02:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm helping out a friend here. He took out his DVD-Rom drive and installed a Cendyne CD-Burner. For several months, the burner has been recognized intermittently and now not at all. The hard drive is the master on the first IDE channel. The CD-Burner is the master on the second(as was the old DVD-Rom drive) and he has a Zip drive as the slave. The Zip also is no longer recognized.

I've ruled out the IDE cable by using a new one and one that I know works. I've reinstalled the old DVD-Rom drive which never had a problem before, and it is not recognized. I've taken out the Zip drive and that doesn't help. I've double-checked the master/slave jumpers.

When Windows hasn't recognized a new drive, I've used the Add/remove hardware program in Control Panel, and it still doesn't recognize any new drive, except the hard drive of course.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Ian
Old 06-21-03, 06:30 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

you removed it from the system properties then let windows autodetect it?
the old, working dvd rom drive didn't work anymore? maybe something wrong with the mobo
Old 06-21-03, 07:04 PM
Cool New Member

By the time I got to it, it wasn't there in the systems profile for me to remove. But upon reboot, Windows never autodetected it.

The mobo, that's what I'm guessing duz. I got advice to get into the bios at startup and see if the burner is recognized there. If it is, then it is likely a Windows problem. If not, then a hardware problem. Thanks and I'll report back.
Old 06-22-03, 11:15 PM

One thing you can try is to go into the bios and press F3 to let bios autodetect it. Of course, you already knew that