Reload this Page >

boot sector virus again! help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-20-03, 09:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres the deal. got a friend who has a friend w/ a new maxtor 15 gig hdd. problem is he got a boot sector virus and did everything he could to get rid of it and couldnt so he bought a new one. i ask him if he wanted to sell it to me for 20 bucks and he said yeah..(hehe). so i bought it...now i need help gettin rid of this virus. no o/s installed, tried mutilple dos virus scanners and cant get rid of it..any suggestions??
Old 06-20-03, 09:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Go to the manufacturer's website and get their diagnostics utility. It should have a low-level formatting function.
Old 06-21-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
yep.. as x said.. thats the best solution

otherwise.. you can do a standard fdisk.. and also do a fdisk /mbr

that wipes out the master boot record and will eliminate the virus
Old 06-21-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 202 Likes on 147 Posts
Agreed, "fdisk /mbr" is the first thing you should try. However, if the infection is tenacious like monkey.b or something along those lines, the manufacturer's low-level format utility will be needed. I remember having to do many of these back in the late 90's when floppy disks were still used to transfer files between friends. You should have the fellow install GOOD antivirus software, configure it properly, and scan ALL of his floppies.
Old 06-21-03, 08:46 PM
Cool New Member

damn virus

good suggestions but none of them worked....1st i got the powermax utility and did a full low level format ( took days it seemed like). after that was done, tried to install os and didnt get pass the setup screen. tried fdisk /mbr but after the type the command, the same screen comes up...
boot sector write!
virus: continue Y/N?
i dont kow what kind of virus this one is but it sure got me pulling out hairs. any other suggestions? im about ready to pull out my big magnet and try that. what do you think?
Old 06-21-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
just get an antivirus program that works off a bootdisk
boot up with it and clean the virus

Ive cleaned lots of boot sector viruses with norton boot disk or f-prot boot disks
Old 06-22-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 202 Likes on 147 Posts
Tell me, in your BIOS, do you have a built-in antivirus setting enabled? Try setting it to disabled and see if you can get the OS to install.
Old 06-22-03, 09:58 PM
mwj

This happened to me about five months ago. If he is running an OS which has DOS (95, 98, ME) try downloading a program called f-prot. It is an antivirus program which will run off a floppy. You may still may have to format and reinstall windows if too much damage has been done. I did.
Old 06-23-03, 03:37 AM
Cool New Member

great advice mike, that got the job done...scanned it after i got the os in w/ NAV and got rid of virus...case close...thanks for good suggestions...
Old 06-23-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'm a little late, since the problem has been solved, but...

What about running a drive wipe program, one that is compliant with DOD specs? Wouldn't that also do the job?