Reload this Page >

Question on setting up RAID.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-16-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering getting a second Raptor and setting up a RAID 0 array. I've currently got a Raptor as my boot drive. If I get a second, and set up RAID, is it possible to easily keep the data on the drive for when I set up RAID? I know I could back it up, set up the array, then put it back on, but is there a quicker\easier way? This is my first venture into RAID territory, so I apologize if this is an "easy" question. Thanks.
Old 06-16-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Easiest way is to Ghost the existing Raptor drive to another hard drive (not the second Raptor). Setup the RAID 0 with the 2 Raptors and then dump the Ghost image back into the RAID 0 setup.
Old 06-18-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by zuffy
Easiest way is to Ghost the existing Raptor drive to another hard drive (not the second Raptor). Setup the RAID 0 with the 2 Raptors and then dump the Ghost image back into the RAID 0 setup.
All righty. I've not used Ghost before (and I won't have it until tomorrow). I know that it runs in DOS, so will it allow you to load the drivers to use RAID (I assume it must if you suggested it)? Also, I was under the impression that you had to set up the RAID drives in Windows for it to work (at least that's what it said in the manual I read). Is this incorrect? It'll be Monday before my second Raptor shows up, so I'm just trying to get everthing in order (knowledge wise) before then . Thanks.
Old 06-18-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you bootup from the Win98 bootdisk (you get it from www.bootdisk.com), I am pretty sure it will recognize the RAID controller like a regular IDE controller.