Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Wireless router breaking All Seeing Eye (pinger program)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-15-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed a Netgear wireless router. My desktop is on one of the LAN ports.

I use a program called All Seeing Eye to ping game servers to find out which ones are full, close by, etc. The router appears to be interfering with it since packet loss for each server is usually 100% (although sometimes a few get though and it is 80%).

I turned off "SPI Firewall" and enabled "Respond to Ping on Internet Port" in the router but neither helped.

While playing games, my ping is usually ok but now I am getting occasional lag spikes up to 400ms or so. The only thing changed is the router.

Right now, the USB DSL modem goes to my roommates DHCP server then out to a hub. My wireless router's WAN is hooked into the hub. The router has DHCP running a 192.168.1.xx IP range (roommate's is using 192.168.0.x).
Old 06-16-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ideally, your setup should be DSL modem -> Router -> PCs. Right now, it's DSL modem -> PC -> Router -> PCs. I'm not surprised you're running into problems. If it's possible at all, you might look into getting the DSL modem swapped out for a real one that doesn't use USB.

If you bought the wireless router just to get wireless functionality, then your easiest solution is to put your PC back in the configuration that it was in before. So, it'd be DSL modem -> PCs -> Router -> wireless PCs.

The other thing you can try is to put your PC in the DMZ. You're negating any and all firewall protection being provided by the router when you do that, but presumably, your roommates PC that has the DSL modem attached is acting as the firewall for your whole LAN, so your router's firewall would be redundant.

Hope that makes sense. I haven't been sleeping much lately...
Old 06-16-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stupid Bellsouth won't let you use a regular DSL modem. They require a USB one.

I have an extra switch so I suppose I could go his hub to my switch and from my switch to my desktop and wireless router. My laptop sucks too much to play games on it anyway.

Edit: putting my desktop as the defaul DMZ server brought the packet loss down to about 25-40% but didn't fix the problem entirely.

Last edited by asabase; 06-16-03 at 11:12 AM.